Fort Dearborn Company is a leader in printed labels for the consumer products industry. Join Fort Dearborn and you will have the opportunity to become part of an organization that is committed to excellence and industry leadership for almost 100 years.
The Operations Manager is responsible for overall site production operations. Creates a work environment which promotes safety, quality and delivery. Effectively develops teams that are able to achieve corporate improvement objectives. Accountable for all aspects of plant production performance while ensuring objectives are attained in a cost-effective manner. Drives best practices through the organization and leads process improvement.
- Directly, and through delegation, coordinates activities required to assure safety, quality, delivery and cost meet specified targets.
- Assures the compliance of behavior based safety initiatives and continuously improves safety performance.
- Executes on quality control plans for compliance to standards and drives variation reduction within the process.
- Assesses on-time delivery performance and develops actions to improve and sustain high level of performance.
- Holds direct responsibility for managing cost by effective management of labor, overtime and expenditures.
- Reviews and analyzes production reports to determine root causes of variance from budget, and develops and executes corrective actions, using structured root cause analysis, MDI and Policy Deployment methodologies.
- Reviews and analyzes production reports to determine root causes of variance from budget, and develops and executes corrective actions.
- Promotes, prepares and participates in kaizen activities. Sustains results.
- Facilitates the execution of daily gemba walk by assuring the proper utilization of hour by hour, SQDC boards and war room.
- In conjunction with Human Resource Manager, coordinates appropriate “required to operate” and “required on roles” staffing levels. Administers to the RTO on a daily and a shift by shift basis.
- Directs the efforts of plant supervision to ensure the consistent application of human resource policies, procedures, and plant rules. Assures adherence to safety accountability guidelines.
- Coaches and mentors team members to assure their ongoing development
- Stays abreast of new trends and developments in methods, techniques, equipment, tools, materials, and supplies, which might be incorporated into the production process to increase efficiency or better use of resources. Researches and recommends capital equipment purchases.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Engineering, Industrial Technology or Business or equivalent 10 years of staff level leadership experience.
- Minimum of 7 years' experience in Operations and/or Lean Management.
- Printing industry experience is preferred (although not required).
- Experience in being a change agent in complex transformational activities.
- Significant experience in implementation of Lean principals as they apply to manufacturing operations.
- Ability to apply structured problem solving methodologies to determine root cause of problems and provide effective countermeasures.
- Excellent communication skills
- Advanced excel skills
- Fort Dearborn offers a competitive wage and generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance and 401(k).
Fort Dearborn welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Fort Dearborn Company is an equal opportunity employer.
Business Process Improvement
Complex Problem Solving