Forest Lawn has always attracted unique and exceptional individuals; those who aren’t satisfied with simply building a career, but want to go home at the end of the day knowing they’ve made a profound and positive difference in people’s lives. If this sounds like you, take a look at our job openings....We may have your next GREAT OPPORTUNITY!
Forest Lawn in Glendale, California is seeking a skilled Transfer Paralegal 1 to join for the Transfers department. In this vital role, the Transfer Paralegal 1 will conduct phone and face to face consultations with families to explain the ownership transfer procedures to interested parties, as well as to obtain and notarize signatures, prepare transfer-related documents, and update permanent cemetery records.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Explain the transfer process to all parties by answering all questions related to the transfer of ownership; either via telephone, email, or by meeting face-to-face
- Identify current cemetery property owners based upon Forest Lawn’s records of ownership and speaking with the owner(s) and/or family of the owner(s).
- Obtain detailed and legal information to initiate the transfer of ownership; including constructing detailed family trees to identify the Heir(s)-at-Law of deceased property owners.
- Perform data entry and verifies data entry in our Association’s internal record database pertaining to transfers of ownership.
- Provide and have careful consideration for individual circumstances.
- Identify, review, analyze, and resolve issues to make sound recommendations to all parties involved.
- Assist the Memorial Counseling departments to review and validate Advance Health Care Directives.
- Gather notes and detailed information to prepare legal documents; such as Name Changes, Affidavits, Transfer Agreements, Certifications, etc.
- Obtain and verify notarized signatures to execute the transfer of ownership.
- Obtain complete documents for review by an attorney; such as Living wills, Trust Certifications, Trusts, Powers of Attorney’s, Certified Court Orders.
- Interface with the Legal department as necessary, to perform functions.
- Paralegals will also multi-task and perform a broad variety of customer service and clerical functions, all under strict timelines.
- Minimum of 1-3 years’ experience as a paralegal or related experience. Real estate property transaction experience is a plus.
- High school diploma/G.E.D required. Four year degree strongly preferred.
- Paralegal Certification from an ABA approved institution.
- Bilingual Preferred.
- Valid CADL required.
- Notary Public Commission preferred.
- Proficient and effective written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Strong customer service and detail oriented.
- Proficient in completing tasks independently and with a team.
- Excellent organizational skills and a proactive approach to work.
If you are committed to excellence and have a track record of leadership focused on results, team-building and personal growth, this position is for you!
Mon - Fri 8:00 a.m .to 5:00 p.m. (Alternating Weekends; Observed Holidays Off)
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Free Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
- Voluntary Vision Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Cash Balance Retirement Plan
- 401k plan with company match
- Paid Vacation - 3 weeks
- Paid Absence Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
DRUG TESTING POLICY
Prior to beginning employment, all job applicants who receive a job offer will be required to voluntarily submit to a drug screening test conducted by a laboratory designated by Forest Lawn. The drug screening method is a hair collection test that will detect the use of illegal drugs within the past 90 days. A positive drug test may result in the withdrawal of the job offer.
Forest Lawn has registered to participate in the federal government's E-Verify program. With E-Verify we are able to confirm the employment authorization of all newly hired employees through an electronic database maintained by the Social Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security. With respect to new hires, the E-Verify process is completed in conjunction with a new hire's completion of the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification upon commencement of employment. E-Verify is not used as a tool to pre-screen candidates.
For up-to-date information on E-Verify, go to
Forest Lawn will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
MANDATORY COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
As an essential business, it is crucial for Forest Lawn’s employees to remain healthy in order for us to be able to provide our essential services to the public, particularly in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. In accordance with our mission and Forest Lawn’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families; our client families and visitors; and the community at large from COVID-19, which may be reduced by vaccination. This policy will comply with all applicable laws and is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities, as applicable. All employees are required to receive the COVID-19 vaccination and remain current with all COVID-19 vaccine boosters, unless a reasonable accommodation related to a medical reason or sincerely-held religious beliefs or practices is approved.
For more information on our mandatory vaccination policy:
Mandatory Covid-19 Vaccination Policy