Chubb is the world’s largest publicly traded property and casualty insurer. With operations in 54 countries, Chubb provides commercial and personal property and casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health insurance, reinsurance and life insurance to a diverse group of clients. The company is distinguished by its extensive product and service offerings, broad distribution capabilities, exceptional financial strength, underwriting excellence, superior claims handling expertise and local operations globally.
To execute the CHUBB Westchester Specialty Casualty business unit strategy; product line responsibilities include Primary General Liability, Lead Umbrella, follow form Excess, and High Excess placements. As an underwriting member of the CHUBB Westchester Specialty Casualty Division, this position will work within their local team to achieve profitable underwriting results through the growth, development, servicing and underwriting of Excess and Surplus Lines business.
This position will be working directly with other CHUBB divisions toward driving profitable business development within the CHUBB Westchester Specialty Casualty Division. The position will work exclusively through contracted wholesale brokers. The CHUBB Westchester Specialty Casualty Division will provide a single source of access to CHUBB’s broad domestic and international product and service offerings within the property and casualty underwriting disciplines.
Under limited supervision, primary responsibility is to underwrite individual risks; may also supervise employees.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Solicits new and renewal submissions from appointed wholesaler brokers.
- Determines terms and conditions and complex rating plans.
- Binds coverage.
- Documents the underwriting files to company/division expectations.
- Handles more complex files and portfolios within underwriting authority.
Position will be responsible for the following activities:
PROFITABILITY & PRODUCTION
- Goal Achievement - Delivering upon the established New and Renewal business goals as provided by the Regional Underwriting Manager. This will include Premium projections as well as all Policy Acquisition Expense budgets.
- Growth Strategies - Executing upon the assigned roles per the regional marketing plans and strategies. This includes:
- Client & broker relations including sales calls & attendant strategies
- Completing target account responsibilities & cross sell strategies
- Underwriting Integrity - Achieving all underwriting standards as outlined by the CHUBB Westchester Specialty Casualty Division home office and all applicable Underwriting Guidelines, Authorities, and Position Papers. This includes:
- Risk selection:
Fundamentals of coverage, terms and conditions. Ability to offer coverage, terms and conditions which generate a profit for the Company while meeting the needs of the customer.
Risk Assessment. Ability to identify risk exposures, special or common hazards, and appropriate controls. Ability to select risk based on exposure and risk analysis. Ability to analyze claims and quantify losses.
Financial proficiency. Understanding of financial statements and ratios used in risk analysis.
Understanding of insurance financial fundamentals; impact of underwriting decisions on company assets. Ability to understand credit risk
Actuarial fundamentals. Ability to understand the basics of loss trends, loss triangles, and ratemaking. Ability to quantify risk based on experience history and forecasting methods.
- Pricing & attachments including rate change goals
- Terms & conditions – understand and underwrite terms and conditions and underlying terms and conditions.
Marketing and Communications - Ability to sell and negotiate to achieve bottom line profitability for the Company. Ability to make presentations and communicate articulately. Ability to base communications on strategic thinking. Ability to manage producer strategy.
Systems and programs - Ability to use systems and software programs needed to conduct daily business.
Ensuring the achievement of all divisional standards with regards to all administrative responsibilities as outlined in the CHUBB Westchester Specialty Casualty Operations Manual, including:
- Accurate & timely policy issuance
- Accurate billings
- Manuscript form & endorsement processes
- File construction and documentation
Performance will be measured by:
- Achievement of premium goals & budgets
- Adherence to underwriting goals, guidelines & objectives
- Adherence to departmental workflow and service standards
- Qualitative assessment of underwriting decisions
- Results of internal and external underwriting audits
- New business submission and quote activity
- Marketing activity
The ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum of 5-7 Years Underwriting Experience
- Experience in underwriting wholesale general liability, umbrella and excess business
- Construction underwriting experience preferred.
- Insurance related business acumen
- High level of product knowledge including:
- Exposure analysis
- Form & coverages
- Rating principles and mechanics
- Negotiation & presentation skills
- Knowledge of wholesale casualty insurance industry
- Proven broker relations & customer management skill set
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively in a team
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point
Chubb strives to offer a diverse and inclusive and rewarding work environment. Teamwork and mutual respect are central to how Chubb operates, and we believe the best solutions draw upon diverse perspectives, experiences and skills. We operate in such a way where everyone, regardless of their singular background has the opportunity to contribute to our collective success.
At Chubb, we are committed to equal employment opportunity and compliance with all laws and regulations pertaining to it. Our policy is to provide employment, training, compensation, promotion,and other conditions or opportunities of employment, without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin,ancestry, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, military and veteran status, age, and pregnancy or any other characteristic protected by law.Performance and qualifications are the only basis upon which we hire, assign, promote, compensate, develop and retain employees. Chubb prohibits all unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliationagainst any individual who reports discrimination or harassment.
- Actuarial Science
- Attention To Detail
- Business Development