About MedStar Health
About MedStar Georgetown’s Interventional Radiology Department
MedStar Georgetown is currently seeking an Interventional Radiology Nurse to be responsible for patient assessment, intra-procedure care and sedation, and post-procedure follow-up of patients undergoing invasive procedures or sedation in the Department of Radiology.
Our Interventional Radiology team offers the entire range of vascular, nonvascular and neurological image-guided procedures. For example, IR specialists can break up clots inside arteries, block off blood vessels that feed tumors, treat varicose veins, deliver cancer treatment directly to a tumor through its own blood supply, drain blocked organs, and perform biopsies—all by way of tiny incisions into which surgical instruments are navigated, under image guidance, to the target area. With advanced techniques and equipment and cutting-edge clinical trials, we are working to maximize patient safety and develop the next generation of treatments.
General Summary of Position:
The Radiology Nurse is responsible for providing individualized, age appropriate, safe and quality patient care during pre-procedure, Intra-procedure, and Post-Procedure Phases. The nurse serves as a resource, and collaborates with other members of theinterdisciplinary team by utilizing the nursing process to promote optimum patient care outcomes in accordance with MedStar Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures, and standards.
- EDUCATION AND/OR TRAINING REQUIRED: Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing; Bachelor’s degree in Nursing preferred.
- LICENSURE AND/OR CERTIFICATION: Current D.C. license as a Registered Professional Nurse upon hire; BLS required; ACLS required within 6 months, and PALS certification preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: Minimum of Two (2) years experience preferable ICU, IR, ED, or PACU.
- SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES: Knowledge of cardiac monitoring and arrhythmia recognition, invasive pressure monitoring, conscious sedation, emergency care, and comprehensive assessment skills.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides appropriate patient care and treatment utilizing the nursing process, and ensures information related to changes in patient’s condition is relayed accurately and efficiently to the physician.
- Prepare patients for procedures including pre- procedure instruction, pre-procedure assessments, intravenous access, and accurate documentation.
- Provides intra-procedure monitoring and sedation according to departmental protocols and physician direction.
- Facilitate and ensure safety of patient until transferred to post-procedural recovery unit.
- Acts as a patient advocate for patient and family members.
- Supports department and organization’s goals.
About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, our healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership. As the first hospital in Washington, D.C. to achieve Magnet® Recognition, we have demonstrated our excellence in nursing care, innovative professional nursing practice, and nursing satisfaction.
Founded in the Jesuit principle ofcura personalis—caring for the whole person—we are committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment. Our mission is what sets us apart - and makes MedStar Georgetown a special place to work.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (Acls)
- Basic Life Support
- Cardiac Monitoring
- Clinical Trials
- Critical Care