This is a Trinity Health position based at Saint Alphonsus, a member of Trinity Health.
Functions as the Operations Manager responsible for the direct supervision of supervisors and/or staff and coordination of the day-to-day operations in assigned area of the Regional Health Ministry's (RHM) Food & Nutrition Services (FANS) Department. The Operations Manager is responsible for successfully coordinating and directing all activities within the assigned area of the department. Assigned area(s) may include Retail Services, Production and/or Business Manager.
Assists in development and management of preliminary program budgets in collaboration with the FANS General Manager. Assists the General Manager with implementation of effective cost reduction plans and processes that support Trinity Health and RHM FANS goals, objectives, strategies, policies, and procedures. Ensures cost reduction targets and productivity improvement objectives are met, while cultivating service/product quality and customer satisfaction. Ensures the General Manager and staff are appropriately kept abreast of issues or problems impacting program efficiencies and effectiveness. Attracts, develops and trains talent to ensure program quality, sustainability, long-term growth, and development. Leads by exemplifying the mission, vision and values of Trinity Health and the Regional Health Ministry. Ensures THS standards, guidelines and approved technology are appropriately and effectively used to support the department operations.
1. Knows, understands, incorporates, and demonstrates the Trinity Health Mission, Vision, and Values in behaviors, practices, supports and endorses senior leadership decisions, goals, objectives, and strategies.
2. Directly supervises the day-to-day operation of assigned area(s) of the FANS department and ensures program service support objectives are met. Provides a work environment that fosters positive energy, creativity, and teamwork among colleagues across all functional areas. Provides operational and technical support to the General Manager in support of the
overall management of FANS programs. Develops, implements and coordinates operations within the department:
Standardization of standing operating procedures related to FANS expense management and operations for assigned areas.
Implementation of core program systems (Menus, Food Formularies, Cleaning Practices, auditing tools, competencies, etc.)
3. Ensures financial objectives stay on course and drives initiatives with team that contribute to Department, THS and RHM program short and long-term operational excellence.
4. Provides financial control for assigned area(s) and works with local stakeholders and General Manager to prepare and submit program annual revenue and/or expense budgets. Participates in monthly budget reviews with the General Manager to identify budget variances for assigned span of control.
5. Keeps the General Manager informed of issues affecting program costs, service capabilities, effectiveness and efficiencies, as well as issues noted during Performance Improvement audits. Presents findings and recommendations for improvement to the General Manager.
6. Meets with direct reports and support staff, as required, to review overall operations goals/objectives, to address shortfalls and open issues, and to encourage open dialogue for suggested process improvements. Reviews subsequent FY goals/objectives and related plans as defined by the General Manager.
7. Assists the General Manager to develop and administer Program Quality Evaluations and reviews Customer Satisfaction Survey scores for discrepancies and overall customer satisfaction for assigned span of control. Prepares Performance Improvement Plans (PIP) where necessary to resolve customer satisfaction issues and address program quality deficiencies.
8. Interviews, hires, trains, appraises, counsels, and supervises staff; handles disciplinary actions. Conducts line meetings, huddles and unit meetings to keep staff up to date on all key issues. Meets all deadlines for HR related processes.
9. Ensures timely completion of annual performance appraisals; addresses colleague problems and issues related to their work or environment. Fosters the development of diverse teams at all levels as appropriate and outlines annual skills development, career growth opportunities, and improvement objectives with direct reports. Establishes and monitors progress on objectives and takes the necessary actions to resolve and prevent recurring issues. Provides the coaching and counseling in cases where disciplinary action or termination is warranted.
10. Follows and holds direct reports accountable for following Trinity Health and THS policies and procedures.
11. Manages multiple projects and tasks in a fast paced environment and possesses the ability to adapt to change. Demonstrates the ability to follow a project plan for major projects and meet and document milestones to determine schedule of deliverables to advance project outcomes.
12. Ensures all aspects of assigned operations including, but not limited to, production, catering and retail operations function in a compliant, optimal and efficient manner that ensures patient and customer satisfaction
13. Ensures that there are ongoing effective quality improvement programs within the span of control, inclusive of food borne illness, safety and infection control in the appropriate areas of the department.
14. Ensures all cafeteria/catering pricing is reviewed annually to trend with market and is priced consistently with THS policy.
15. Ensures all cash handling policies are followed appropriately and all cash is accounted for.
16. Ensures food and supplies purchased for areas of responsibility are from approved and compliant vendors, following THS standard procurement processes. Follows processes that support purchasing compliance targets.
17. Ensures service requirements are met in a timely and effective manner for all areas of responsibility.
18. Follows approved processes to ensure required separation of authority for order, receiving and invoice approval for all purchase orders.
19. Ensures that all menus within span of control are reviewed at least annually and adjusted according to patient/customer preference, THS standards, and that Nutrient Analysis is accurate and updated as needed.
20. Ensures catered functions are approved, planned and executed per policy in a timely fashion with a customer centered focus. Also ensures event costs are tracked per policy (Internally) and billed in a timely fashion (externally).
21. Ensures safe conditions and procedures are followed at all times to minimize/eliminate workman's compensation claims and create a safe working environment for all Food & Nutrition colleagues.
22. Displays the ability to plan and direct food production personnel regarding type and quantity of food to be prepared and any special techniques to be employed for modified diets.
23. Maintains accurate and appropriate records as required.
24. Demonstrates a cost-conscious attitude to time usage and consistently makes the best use of time.
25. May handle additional duties and responsibilities as needed or assigned.
26. Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws/regulations; the Trinity Health Integrity and Compliance Program and Code of Conduct; as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
1. BA or BS degree preferred in institutional management, dietetics or equivalent degree with a minimum of three years progressive experience in the field of healthcare foodservice management or an equivalent combination of education and work experience such as Certified Dietary Manager certification (CDM) and at least 5 years progressive supervisory/ management experience.
2. Ability to work effectively in a diverse, collaborative, and team oriented culture.
3. Ability to develop methodologies for collecting and analyzing relevant data; to audit program processes; monitor quality; identify, problems and their root causes, and make recommendations for improvement.
4. Excellent leadership, analytical, organizational, planning, delegation, coaching, communication (verbal, written and interpersonal), and computer (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) skills; with a continuous improvement mindset and ability to challenge conventional thinking at all levels of the organization.
5. A personal presence characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity, and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals, and values of Trinity Health.
6. Ability to be a self-starter and independent worker able to manage multiple conflicting priorities and demands.
7. Ability to delegate responsibilities effectively and provide regular follow up to ensure objectives is met.
Customer Relationship Management