Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC) is seeking a full-time, permanent Head of U.S. Government Relations located in New York, NY or Washington, D.C. The position will spearhead the creation and buildout of SMBC's U.S. Government Relations function, and will be SMBC's liaison to key federal financial regulators and their staff. Reporting to SMBC's Head of Governance Planning Department, Americas Division with a dotted line report to the General Counsel, Americas Division, the position will pursue and maintain relationships with relevant government audiences to further SMBC's priorities.
About SMBC Americas Division
* SMBC is the flagship bank of SMBC Group, a diversified global financial group headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, with a century-long operating history in the U.S. SMBC Group engages in a wide range of activities in the U.S., including commercial and retail banking, structured finance, leasing, securities, and derivatives.
* The Americas Division of SMBC Group has grown rapidly in size and complexity, having roughly tripled its U.S. asset base to around USD 200 bn over in recent years, with a corresponding increase in headcount and profitability.
* SMBC Group aims to manage its U.S. continuing growth trajectory in a prudent, sustainable manner, with a focus on building strong, positive relationships with select U.S. federal and state financial regulators, governmental agencies, legislative bodies, and member associations.
* Identify SMBC Group's U.S. institutional advocacy needs, priorities, and resource requirements. Build and execute the U.S. Government Relations function's mandate.
* Develop networks and relationships with key staff of federal and select state financial regulators and SROs whose policies and rulemaking have critical impact on SMBC Group.
* Raise SMBC Group's profile and stature with governmental bodies, industry groups, and member associations through thought leadership and proactive engagement.
* Provide U.S. policy intelligence and analysis to SMBC senior executives.
* Partner with SMBC stakeholders including Legal, Regulatory Relations, and Head Office to enhance the effectiveness of the U.S. Government Relations function.
* Bachelor's degree and at least 10 years of experience in government relations, focusing on federal financial regulatory environments.
* Excellent judgment and knowledge of relevant legislative and policy- and rule-making processes.
* Superb written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact effectively with external counterparties and internal stakeholders.
* Ability to establish operational functionality from the ground up.
* Collaborative, diplomatic, open-minded approach to solving problems and building relationships with diverse constituents.
* Demonstrated interpersonal skills and tact.
* Experience working with internationally headquartered institutions preferred.
- Internal Communications
- Marketing Communications
- Public Relations
- Corporate Communications
- Press Releases