Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and one of the world's largest design firms with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Seal Beach, CA Civil Group
as a Senior Civil Engineer
Under general direction, provides technical expertise within area of specialization for diverse engineering activities throughout the assigned area of responsibility and/or company-wide. May function as lead designer or technical consultant and be in responsible charge of engineering work, or function as Engineer of Work. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct. JOB DUTIES
- Under general direction, provides technical expertise within area of specialization for diverse engineering activities throughout the assigned area of responsibility and/or company-wide.
- May function as lead designer or technical consultant and be in responsible charge of engineering work, or function as Engineer of Work.
- Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Assists the project manager with forward planning and leadership.
- Coordinates work with project manager, and guides junior professionals and technical personnel on the design and drafting of preliminary and final plans on civil engineering projects.
- Mentors junior staff and aids in the development of entry level engineers.
- Has a thorough understanding of local design standards and criteria related to roadways, sanitary sewers, water distribution systems, storm drain facilities, site grading and drainage, earthwork, ADA compliance, and pavement markings.
- In addition, possesses a strong familiarity with utility design standards and practices.
- Is proficient in SSPWC (Greenbook) and CSI Specifications. Familiarity with the EJCDC contract documents is a plus.
- Must work effectively and coordinate efficiently with multi-discipline teams including architects, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers and landscape architects.
- Coordinate work with other engineers and professionals both within Atkins and other organizations.
- Assists the project manager in preparing for client and/or review agency meetings by ensuring that appropriate exhibits, progress prints, backup data, etc. is assembled by the team. Attends such meetings when deemed appropriate or necessary by the project manager.
- Maintain effective communication with team members, clients and other project stakeholders.
- Shares experiences and insight with the design team to help the team produce deliverables that are sound and follow local design standards, criteria, guidelines and engineering practices.
- Must understand the scope of work defined by the contract, and monitor the budget with respect to completion of the work. Must have a sense of the task budgets so adjustments can be made appropriately if too much time is being spent to complete the tasks. Must recognize out-of-scope work and notify the project manager in a timely manner so extra work isn’t performed without authorization from the client.
- Has the ability to complete the conceptual design of different elements of a project, but also able to provide final design services.
- Performs project design, sketching design concepts to be developed by junior engineers, CAD designers or technicians.
- Plans and reviews the production of engineering drawings and specifications.
- Plans and reviews the production of engineering investigations or planning work.
- Develops and evaluates scope and fee estimates for new projects.
- Analyzes technical problems, assessing the feasibility of proposed techniques and procedures, and devising new approaches and alternative solutions.
- Is responsible for quality control, maintaining quality standards in all work produced, and checking computations or reviewing designs and drawings performed by others.
- May occasionally manage projects.
- Ability to become familiar with Atkins in house systems for project management, delivery and quality control.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Civil Engineering. M.S. or graduate level technical coursework preferred. This level may be achieved by Engineers with seven years of experience since B.S. or 6 years since M.S. Typical candidate has ten to fourteen years of experience.
- AutoCAD and Civil 3D knowledge and understanding required. Microstation knowledge is a plus
- Local experience working in Los Angeles, San Bernardino County, or Nevada is a plus.
- Land development and site design experience preferred, aviation and FAA experience is a plus.
- Strong technical writing and communications skills are expected at this level, proven through technical presentations, technical papers and/or participation in technical committees.
- California Civil P.E. license is required or ability to obtain a California Civil PE license within 6 months.
- Job requires ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to plan, prioritize and review project plans and documents, evaluate alternatives, and select appropriate solutions.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement by clicking the following link: