Veolia North America’s Industrial Water group in Houston, TX seeks a Principal Water/Wastewater Engineer with at least 20 years of experience to join its team. The candidate will report to the Director of Engineering and support the development and operation of new and existing process technologies for the treatment of water and wastewater streams for industrial clients. Acting as the Veolia Industrial’s water treatment technology Subject Matter Expert, this individual will serve as the face of our technological expertise in the application of water treatment technologies. The position demands a proven record of successfully designing, implementing, troubleshooting, optimizing, and supporting water treatment processes in a variety of markets, including oil and gas, petrochemicals, metals finishing, power, and mining.General Requirements
: This position requires expertise in the following areas:
- Process Design incorporating a broad range of water treatment technologies and unit operations, including but not limited to: coagulation and flocculation, flotation, gas stripping, chemical precipitation, oxidation, crystallization, clarification, filtration, reverse osmosis, ion exchange, dewatering
- Laboratory bench-scale and field-based pilots and technology validations
- Process optimization and troubleshooting
- Water chemistry, including scaling, solubility and ion activities
- Engineering and economic studies to evaluate process or project feasibility
- Providing technical guidance on complex issues requiring independent and/or teamwork analysis and objective, data-driven judgment
- Familiarity with work processes of large and small engineering companies.
- An ability to work effectively with a range of technical and operations personnel
- Good writing skills, including technical reporting and the development of technical papers for publication
- Public speaking, including intercompany and at conferences and seminars
- Technical support for business development.
- Capture company innovations in standards and design techniques that maximize project implementation efficiencies and afford strong value propositions in competitive areas
- Specification development for process influent quality/quantity and the associated process efficiency and performance requirements of the treatment system
: B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or Civil Engineering Licensure
: Professional Engineer (PE) License in Texas. Qualities
: The position places an emphasis on the following qualities:
- General positive attitude and work ethic.
- Attention to details.
- Functional contribution to the team.
- Mentoring and training of engineering staff members and operations personnel.
- Ability to troubleshoot, innovate and strengthen the group’s ability to perform.
- Demonstrated written, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills across a divergent audience.
: The following skills are expected of a candidate in this role:
- Development of material and energy balances (MEB).
- Develop process flow diagrams (PFDs), piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs), and other key process design documents.
- Evaluation and potential mitigation of process risks associated with a process design option or modification to the operation of a commercial plant (Management of Change)
- Develop process and functional control descriptions, and provide support with operating procedures and troubleshooting guides.
- Reverse osmosis design, including modeling of projections
- Experience with Process Safety Management and, especially, Process Hazards Analyses (PHA) is a plus.
- Experience with commissioning and start-up and also supporting the process optimization of commercial phase operations
- Ability to mentor and train a diverse group of colleagues including process engineers, operations and safety personnel.
- Working knowledge of Recognized and Generally Accepted Good Engineering Practices, e.g., ISA, API, etc.
: Experience with the following technologies and unit operations is beneficial:
Computer and Software
- Processes involving the handling of solids and slurries, including conveyance and pumping systems.
- Dewatering (two and three-phase decanters, filter press, belt filter press).
- Filtration (MMF, micro, ultra, nano and RO-based systems).
- Physicochemical-based unit operations.
- Inorganic and metal treatment of aqueous wastewaters, including ion exchange, evaporation and related separations.
– Aside from typical office productivity software, experience with AutoCAD and development of custom solutions using Excel (with VBA) are a plus. Working knowledge of process modeling software for process design. Assisting in development of detailed computer spreadsheet models to aid in process design and analysis.