ABOUT POET BIOREFINING
Our 28 Biorefining facilities produce over 2 billion gallons of ethanol, 5 million tons of Dakota Gold distillers grain animal feed and 600 million pounds of our Voila® corn oil. That’s a lot of product! In addition, we provide CO2 to the beverage industry and contribute to sustainable roadways. We also buy 650 million bushels of corn per year from local producers. It is our role at POET Biorefining to ensure safe, efficient, and profitable operations at each facility.
The Operations Manager is responsible for understanding, planning, directing and coordinating the operations of the biorefinery and implementing changes as necessary to ensure all necessary regulations are being met. Team members in this position manage team members and create a positive work environment as well as support operations through problem solving, adaptation and working with other departments to correct process problems. The Operations Manager is accountable for optimizing plant runtime as well as downtime while ensuring a quality end product.
POET biorefineries operate on a 24-hour continuous schedule. The Operations Manager must be available as needed.
DURING A TYPICAL DAY (IF THERE IS ONE):
- Facilitate communication between departments within the plant and other POET Biorefining locations to maintain an effective teamwork environment.
- Manage all plant operations and production and strive for maximum efficiency.
- Manage raw material inventories and receipts to ensure continued plant operation.
- Provide trouble shooting and problem solving expertise to resolve chemical plant operational problems.
- Optimize plant up-time or runtime, minimize all plant downtime.
- Assign cleaning tasks and maintain the sanitation schedule.
- Perform on-call duties for technical support during off hours.
- Lead interdepartmental teams through Root Cause Analysis (RCA) process and drive all action items through to completion.
- Utilize plant historian database (PI) to analyze plant operational trends.
- Coordinate with the Plant Manager to ensure all operational System Improvement Forms (SIF’s) are implemented.
- Coordinate with the Plant Manager to ensure the entire operations department is informed of and embracing operational changes that occur within the company.
- Coordinate with the Plant Manager to ensure that all city, county, state and federal regulations are being met and assist in implementing approved changes.
- Effectively manages team by recruiting, selecting, orienting and training team members. Leadership responsibilities also include delegation, coaching and performance management and career development to effectively execute departmental strategies and support company objectives.
- Foster a culture of safe behavior and environmental compliance at all times.
- Maintain a team environment at all times and champion POET in the community.
- Since we’re all about teamwork and getting the job done, your skill may be put to a lot of other uses!
CHARACTERISTICS OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Ag-business, Business, Operations Management, Science, Chemistry, Biology or Engineering preferred.
- 5 or more years’ experience in a manufacturing/processing environment required.
- 5 years of supervisory and/or managerial experience is preferred.
- Experience with Maintenance management systems such as Maximo is preferred.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills as well as the ability to adapt to change.
- You communicate effectively in writing and in person.
- You have the ability to understand technical and day to day operation of a bioprocessing facility.
- You know the basics of Microsoft Office Suite. You’re capable of learning new programs.
- Culture is king at POET. We’re all on the same team. We always communicate. And we park our egos at the door. These aren’t just slogans on our walls. It’s the way we do things at POET.
- Up to 50% travel will be part of the norm for this position to visit the bioprocessing facilities, meetings and site visits. At times overnight travel may be required.
- The work environment at POET is dynamic. You should expect a balance between time spent in the office and at the bioprocessing facility, which may include some physical labor helping your team members.
- Specific physical requirements may include:
- Occasionally lifting weight up to sixty (60) pounds.
- Climbing several flights of stairs and ladders.
- Opening valves.
- Occasionally bending, twisting and turning while lifting weight of less than fifty (50) pounds.
- Data entry while seated for greater than one (1) hour.
- Walking up to two (2) or more miles per day.
- Pushing brooms, shovels, etc.
- Working at heights, in confined spaces and at temperatures from -20 to +100 degrees.
- Standing for extended periods of time.
- Wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Using hand and power tools.
POET is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
Personal Protective Equipment
Complex Problem Solving