Human Resources Assistant Senior
Job Requisition Number
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus three (3) years of experience in a field related to the job.
- Additional education may substitute for one (1) year of the required experience up to a maximum of three (3) years.
Notes to Applicants
The Human Resources Assistant Sr. will join the Austin Police Department Human Resources Division as a member of the Employee Relations Office supporting civilian and commissioned personnel.
This position will support a team of multi-functional HR professionals and act as the first point of contact for internal and external customers. Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities, top candidates will demonstrate the ability to field a variety of HR-related questions with initiative, attention to detail and professional customer service orientation.
Additionally, creation of personnel files and file room management will constitute up to 50% of the position’s responsibilities.City of Austin Application:
A complete and detailed City of Austin employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications. For each position, please describe your specific experience as it relates to the minimum and preferred qualifications. Please be thorough in completing the employment application and list all experience and education that is relevant to this position.
Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience and education. Application must include job titles, job duties performed, full or part time status.
A resume must be submitted to be considered for this position, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please verify the employment history dates on your resume exactly match your online application.
Must pass a Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) fingerprint-based background check and maintain CJIS eligibility. Due to CJIS requirements related to system access, the following will result in being disqualified for this position: Felony Convictions, Felony Deferred Adjudication, Class A & B Misdemeanor Deferred Adjudication, Class B Misdemeanor Convictions, an Open Arrest for Any Criminal Offense (Felony or Misdemeanor), and Family Violence Convictions. Please
[ Link removed ] to find more information.
A skills assessment may be required as part of the interview process.
All Austin Police employees are prohibited from accepting or engaging in any secondary employment that might conflict or interfere with an employee’s duty and responsibility to the Department.
APD must review all secondary employment.
- Employees are required to submit a Secondary Employment Application for review and approval upon being hired with APD, as well as current APD employees considering Secondary employment.
Working with the Austin Police Department provides a number of health and welfare benefits, such as medical, paid leave time, retirement plan, training opportunities and more. Please [ Link removed ] to find more information.Travel:
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin [ Link removed ] you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
Monday – Friday.
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Hours will vary depending on operational needs.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
715 E. 8th Street, Austin, Texas
- Experience providing customer service in an office setting assisting internal and external customers.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Experience in records management; file room management.
- Experience with open records and processing public information requests.
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite Programs including Word, Excel, Outlook, Forms, PowerPoint, SharePoint, etc.
- Ability to travel to multiple work locations.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Provides administrative support, which may include data entry; maintaining databases; sorting records; assisting employees with filling out forms; creating a variety of correspondence, announcements, records, forms, and reports; and performing related activities.
- Responds to requests for information from employees and/or the general public over the phone, in-person, and via e-mail regarding a variety of HR programs, job opportunities, or other related information.
- Administers or assists with administration of HR or training programs.
- Assists with implementation of HR procedures and processes.
- Schedules, coordinates, or delivers training modules.
- Provides advice and counsel to employees on routine interpretations of City personnel policies.
- Assists more experienced HR staff members in solving HR problems.
- Assists in the analysis of HR problems by compiling a variety of data and information; prepares related reports; files information; and reconciles and verifies information for accuracy and completeness.
- Participates on teams with HR and other team members.
- May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and Local laws.
- Knowledge of City practices, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic HR or training principles.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in data analysis and related software.
- Skill in planning and organizing.
- Ability to handle hostility, conflict, and uncertain situations.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to develop and maintain current knowledge about HR and in the operations of the City and its departments.
- Ability to develop and maintain knowledge and skill in the use of computerized tools, databases, and communications techniques used in HR.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
The minimum qualifications for the Human Resources Assistant Senior position are: Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus three (3) years of experience in a field related to the job. Additional education may substitute for one (1) year of the required experience up to a maximum of three (3) years. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
Please describe how you meet the minimum qualifications referenced above. If applicable, detail how you meet the educational requirements, account for years of related experience, and explain any substitutions of experience for education or vice versa.
(Open Ended Question)
Please describe your experience providing customer service in an office setting assisting internal and external customers.
(Open Ended Question)
Please describe your experience working with diverse populations.
(Open Ended Question)
How many years do you have working with files and records management?
- 0 - 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 3-4 years
- 4+ years
Describe your experience with open records and processing public information requests.
(Open Ended Question)
What is your proficiency level (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced, or not proficient) in each of the following Microsoft Suite programs: Word, Excel, Outlook, Forms, PowerPoint, and SharePoint? Describe your experience utilizing each of them.
(Open Ended Question)
This position requires a very stringent Criminal Background Investigation (CBI). Candidates must pass a CBI that meets the standards according to the Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS). If selected as a top candidate, do you agree to submit to a CBI?
Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
- Cover Letter
- Attention To Detail
- Customer Service
- Data Analysis