Are you looking for an opportunity where you can play a key role helping to guide and foster the transformation of one of the largest industries in the world
Do you believe that building trust through empathy and openness is essential to success in the evolving digital landscape
Are you able to lead discussion with engineers, managers, executives, and product owners to build consensus
Global Retail Markets (GRM) U.S. Direct & Digital is actively searching for a Vice President, Technology. In this position, you will work as a player/coach and help drive our digital transformation by attracting and developing talent, working with product teams and development squads to build customer-centric digital software products from idea to production. The Technology team is strategically aligned to help us become a leader in digital and direct: from marketing, to sales, to policy and claims service. The organization is comprised of Marketing, Digital, Direct Response Centers, Strategic Partnerships, Marketing, and Direct & Digital Insights.
Tech at Company offers the challenge and creativity of a startup with the financial backing and stability of a large company – that’s our opportunity for you. Company has been building internal startup teams to deliver innovative products and solutions quicker. As we grow this culture, mindset and capability, we want you to lead this change with us. We are spinning up more Agile Lean Startup teams and we need additional leadership to anchor and develop these teams.
About the role:
- Directs the strategic design and development of new software products
- Implements business and/or I/S vision, critical success factors and operating plans; ensures the implementation and use of best software development practices.
- Sets high level direction based on knowledge of industry trends, overall technology standards, and alignment to the business.
- Attracts, hires and leads high-performing software engineering staff; coaches and counsels managers regarding management techniques. Determines and manages staffing strategy and plan (# of FTEs, skills needed, depth of experience, internal and external staffing mix) consistent with the needs of the department.
- Identifies and addresses group development needs to create a high performance software development organization.
- Oversees the development, implementation and execution of multiple projects ensuring scope and schedule are established for projects; oversees operating plan and resource allocation for the department, including prioritization and staff deployment; acts based on changed priorities.
- Develops and maintains a network of industry contacts; performs or directs research on industry trends, competitors, business and IT products; analyzes trends and makes strategic and tactical recommendations.
- Ensures system, technical and product architectures are aligned with business objectives.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in technical or business discipline or related experience; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Generally a minimum of 15 years related experience with 5 years in leadership roles and 8 years of software development experience desirable.
- In-depth knowledge of IT concepts, strategies and methodologies and their application to business opportunities.
- In-depth knowledge of business operations, objectives and strategies.
- In-depth knowledge of project planning methodologies and tools and IT standards and guidelines.
- Advanced knowledge of management concepts, practices and techniques.
- Ability to promote a team environment consisting of several teams.
- Highly developed negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills; strong presentation skills.
- Experience attracting, developing and retaining highly-sought-after software engineering talent for design-driven, customer-centric technology organizations.
- Proven track record of driving teams to bring software products to market for consumers from inception to production with a servant leadership mentality.
- Demonstrable thought leadership capabilities as evidenced by industry contacts, conference presentations/attendance, and/or blog publications.