Project Engineer – International Space Station Programs
Location: Windsor Locks, CT (06096)
Project Engineering Integrated Product Development (IPD) Team Lead will provide continuous support of NASA’s vision to develop and expand science capabilities aboard the International Space Station for the next decade. Manned Space capabilities are enabled by the life support hardware and engineering services provided by the International Space Station program in Windsor Locks, CT. The successful candidate will be working on the support of the qualification and production builds of our many different products. Additionally, the candidate will be responsible for leading the IPD teams consisting of Systems Engineering, Test Engineering, Mechanical/Electrical Design, Supplier Quality, Materials Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Material Planners, and Purchasing to drive delivery of these products within the approved budget and schedule. Familiarity with SAP, and UTAS Engineering Change System are a plus. The IPD team lead will report directly to the Program Engineering Manager, and will play a critical role in driving project execution while meeting both internal and external customer expectations. Candidate will lead diverse project teams in manufacture (assembly and test), hardware refurbishment, and on orbit support activities – requiring strong interpersonal and communication skills, technical experience, and the ability to lead cross-functional teams.
As a Project Engineer you will be immersed in the following activities:
• Coordinating setting team meeting agendas, leading team meetings and driving action item closures
• Team activity scope control, including status and corrective action plans to budget challenges
• Coordination of engineering change activities
• Coordination and driving failure investigation activities
• Driving issue resolution closures due to assembly, test and procurement challenges.
• Ability and desire to become and perform export classifications for the program. The candidate will drive the execution of all engineering responsibilities on the program while meeting both internal and external customer expectations. Direct communication with customers will be required – including daily tag-ups, weekly meetings, and quarterly meetings.
• This position requires strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written), technical experience, and the ability to work as cross-functional team member.
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
• Experience and familiarity with product production build and test (specifically with respect to low volume hardware).
• Natural presence/comfortable presenting to internal and external customers.
• Experience troubleshooting (specifically with respect to MRB disposition) in troubleshooting problems on the production floor and coming up with creative solutions that maintain product quality while minimizing cost/schedule impact
• Ability to bring team members together and work problems to resolution .
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Planning, adaptability, organizational and negotiation skills for effective team management
• Ability to anticipate project risks and build contingency plans.
• Manage hardware contracts from stages of proposal through delivery, including tracking procurement status, establishing engineering and operations efforts, and oversight of assembly and test progress.
• Interface with both internal operations and engineering functions to facilitate assembly, test, and delivery of hardware.
• Participate in regular reviews with the customer to communicate status of contracts and schedule.
• Provide direction to IPT (Integrated Product Team) for actions on in-process hardware.
• Develop and manage program schedules to drive on-time contract deliveries.
• Participate in contract proposals, including BOE and BOM estimates.
• Utilize Earned Value methodology to forecast program demands and track project completion.
• Process engineering changes to ensure high quality, conforming hardware is being received, built, and delivered to our customers
• US Citizen. Education and Certifications:
• BS in Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering degree w/ 5 + years of experience.
• PMP Certification desirable
US Citizen candidates only All leased labor are subject to a 10 panel drug test. The FAA Drug & Alcohol program is a special program requiring an additional 5-panel drug screen with training prior to starting their assignment.
Butler America Aerospace, LLC. is proud to provide an equal opportunity workplace and be an affirmative action employer. Consider Butler because we are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We recognize that we thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our customers, and the communities where we are located. Employment with Butler America Aerospace, LLC. is governed on the basis of qualifications and competence without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Engineering Design Process