Ritter Communications has been at the forefront of the local communications industry for more than a century. We began providing telephone service in Northeast Arkansas in 1906. Since then, Ritter has become a regional telecommunications provider delivering a broad and competitive range of communications products and services to businesses and residents in Northeast and North Central Arkansas and West Tennessee. By providing our Business Services customers with the most innovative and integrated technology and services, we’re dedicated to reducing their costs and maximizing their profits with customized connectivity solutions. Our Residential Services customers enjoy lightning fast Internet speeds, cable TV and HDTV and reliable local and long distance phone service. Our services are delivered and supported by a dependable team of local industry experts.
The Fiber Splicer plays a vital role in ensuring quality and timely delivery of telecommunications services to our customers. This position is responsible for reading and interpreting schematics and diagrams to splice, terminate, and test fiber-optic, coaxial, and copper for new construction and new service installations. The role also maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs damaged cable and related issues in the outside plant network.
Essential Job Functions:
- Works with Project Managers and/or OSP Engineers to perform splicing as directed;
- Provides detailed reports of field splicing activity;
- Preps cable and performs both fusion and mechanical splices for aerial and underground applications;
- Ensures all splice closures and termination points are airtight and free of moisture;
- Installs protectors and demarcation equipment at customer premise;
- Installs and maintains vaults, mini-vaults, and manholes;
- Installs actives and passives (nodes, amplifiers, taps, splitters, power inserts);
- Demonstrates appropriate Customer Service Skills, especially ability to work effectively with landowners and utility service providers;
- Loads, transports, unloads, and operates heavy equipment including backhoe, bulldozer, mini-excavator, and trencher.
- Performs manual excavations, including utility exposure, transition, and termination;
- Ensures proper bonding and grounding of aerial and underground plant’
- Performs all work in accordance with industry and Company standards and per all government regulations including OSHA, DOT, FCC, etc.;
- Tracks and enters time for capital projects as required;
- Participates in on-call rotation and occasionally performs work during scheduled maintenance windows at nonpeak hours;
- Travels to customer sites, project areas, business related events, and other Ritter Communications locations;
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough understanding of telecommunication construction practices including:
- Fiber and cable installation practices and procedures;
- Identifying individual fiber cables at splice and node locations;
- Fiber optic splice enclosure handling and maintenance practices;
- Depth/distance requirements;
- Marking and/or identifying cable routes/types;
- Work area restoration and easement/Right of way management
- 90 volt HFC network operation and parameters
- Emergency service restoration procedures and practices
- Up-to-date on RUS and NEC Standards and FCC, OSHA, and DOT regulations;
- Knowledgeable of company products, services, policies and procedures;
- Ability to use all functions of RF meters, optical meters, spectrum analyzer, TDR, OTDR, volt/ohm/amp meters, and monitoring software
- Basic PC software skills including Outlook, Excel, Word, Auto Cad Map Viewer;
- Skill in reading cable schematics, fiber count reports, and verification reports;
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner;
- Ability to follow detailed instructions for complex tasks;
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as maps, staking sheets, and cable schematics, fiber count reports, and verification reports;
- Ability to pay close attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and make sound technical decisions using information at hand;
- Ability to effectively function as a team player;
- Ability to travel for business requirements; must possess a valid Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent plus 5 years of experience in telecommunications construction or maintenance operations required. Minimum of 3 years of experience splicing fiber preferred.
Class A CDL required within six months of starting.
Ritter Communications is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer; all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. M/F/D/V.
We strive to maintain a drug-free workplace.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefits package including health, dental, vision, cancer, accident and life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, 401(k) with company match, flexible spending accounts, free gym membership, company discounts, tuition reimbursement, paid training, paid leave, and much more!
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Optical Time Domain Reflectometer
Attention To Detail