Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
OptumInsight Market Performance Partnerships (MPP) provide health systems the opportunity to utilize a unique partnership model to help accelerate growth and performance.
The Revenue Cycle (RC) Director at Optum is responsible and accountable for all aspects of client focused Revenue Cycle Delivery for MPP partner health system organizations, including, but not limited to driving delivery and execution against Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and Service Level Agreement (SLA) targets.
The RC Director is accountable to the client’s acute and/or ambulatory executives, including Chief Executive Officers (CEO), Chief Financial Officers (CFO), and Chief Medical Officers (CMO), as well as to the Optum Client Executive (CE) and Optum Operations Leadership. In this capacity, the RC Director provides updates on delivery, status of progress against KPIs and SLAs, and escalates issues as appropriate to client executives, the Optum CE, and Optum Operations Leadership.
The RC Director, a member of Revenue Cycle Operations, is responsible for working with the Client and the Optum CE to understand and address client concerns with Optum operations in all revenue cycle areas.
The RC Director is responsible for responding to and working to resolve inquiries in a timely fashion and ensuring Optum commitments are delivered, client business metrics are measured and maintained at agreed-upon levels, including identification and escalation of client-controlled issues affecting the revenue cycle.
The RC Director is assigned (depending upon size, can be fully dedicated) to a specific client and maintains a high-level of autonomy and self-sufficiency. Long term relationships with client leadership (C suite) are built and maintained. Communication is critically important, as such; RC Directors hold regular meetings with client leadership to assess and drive progress, and with CEs and the client executives to report progress and discuss trends and action plans as needed. Meetings include, but are not limited to, Operations Steering Committees (OSC), Revenue Cycle Reviews, Issue Management meetings, Joint Operating Committees (JOC) and other appropriate client meetings.
The RC Director is an experienced operator with deep understanding of the revenue cycle. As part of the Optum commitment to communication, the RC Director provides standard and custom reports that reflect trends and overall state of client operations to the CSEs, to be shared with Client Leadership (C suite). The RC Director works in partnership with the CEs to review, interpret, summarize, and share vital data with the client executives on a regular basis.
If you are located in Harrisburg PA, Baltimore MD or Washington DC, Cleveland OH, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* as you take on some tough challenges.
- Establish effective relationships with Optum Operations leaders, Optum General Managers/CEs and client executives to understand their objectives, business drivers, and success measures. Responsible for relationships and interaction with executives in roles that include CEOs, CFOs, and CMOs
- Act as a client advocate to assess, address and resolve client concerns in collaboration with Optum operational owners in all revenue cycle areas
- Proactively, monitor, understand, and report trends in client critical business metrics including KPIs, SLAs and other standard revenue cycle metrics and benchmarks
- Maintain a regular meeting cadence with appropriate Optum operational leaders, client executives and Optum CSEs. Responsibilities include but are not limited to meeting scheduling, attendee list (both client and Optum), preparation, execution, and follow-up. Meetings include but are not limited to JOCs, Revenue Cycle Steering Committee and other client-specific meetings as needed
- Ensure routine reports are shared with Optum CEs and distributed to client executives
- Understand annual client business plans detailing the client’s goals and objectives and ensure delivery of Revenue Cycle products and services in alignment with goals and objectives
- Maintain focus and engagement with CEs and client’s annual Client Satisfaction Survey, including Optum’s Net Promoter Score (NPS). This includes contributing to and supporting action plans to address satisfaction issues from survey respondents
- Understand payer dynamics and collaborate with Operations, focusing upon the challenges that exist or affect efficient resolution of Accounts Receivable (e.g., Denials, Clinical Appeals)
- Leverage Optum resources (e.g., Operations Teams, CEs, Product, Market Solutions, Payer - Provider Collaboration Team, Optimal Practice) to meet client business challenges
- As a member of the Operations Team, participating in and contributing to Revenue Cycle delivery planning and execution, management of associated financials, development and management of resource, cost, and staffing models
- Proactively managing and communicating current operational results and transformation projects statuses to client operational partners, Optum CEs and client executives as appropriate
- Maintain regular meetings with client operational partners, Optum CEs and client executives to review performance
- Monitor all revenue cycle operations through management report creating, delivery, and interpretation, with communication to applicable operations leaders and client delivery teams
- Drive NPS improvement thorough a deep understanding of the NPS score drivers for the client and ensuring remediation plans are in place where necessary
- Increase client satisfaction, streamlining workflows and/or reducing internal expense
- Coordinate with CEs and Optum Operations teams to prepare and execute detailed performance recovery plans for client KPIs, SLAs, and other critical operational metrics
Other Skills / Experience:
- Ability to manage complex client situations with minimal supervision/management, often with short turnaround times
- Excellent influence, collaboration, presentation and listening skills
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed individual with proven customer/relationship management abilities
- Ability to work with peer group to manage through conflict resolution
- Excellent operations skills coupled with the ability to effectively manage large, complex projects
- Ability to effectively operate and deliver results in a matrixed operations structure
- Expertise in developing client relationships especially within the C suite
- Travel: 20% - 80% travel depending on market and facility locations
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Undergraduate Degree or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of Operational expertise in all revenue cycle related areas
- Experience working with multiple levels of leadership in the hospital and ambulatory/provider space
- Familiarity with Information Management systems including Patient Registration, Patient Management (clinical), Hospital Information Management, Clinical Documentation Improvement, and Patient Accounting
- Proven domain breadth and expertise (health care, revenue cycle, finance etc.)
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Advanced degree (i.e. MBA, MHA)
- Professional memberships including MGMA, HFMA, and or ACHE
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.