As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Recognized across the organization for functional expertise. Delivers technical expertise in design, development, coding, testing, and debugging new software or significant enhancements to existing software. Demonstrates broad knowledge of highly complex business processes and capabilities. Conducts highly complex business process analysis, needs assessments, and leads/participates in design sessions with Architects in order to align information technology solutions with business initiatives. Undertakes highly complex projects requiring additional specialized technical expertise in software design and testing.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Other ancillary duties may be assigned.
- Contributes strategic vision and integrates a broad range of ideas regarding applications and software development. Presents, and communicates, and articulates technical processes effectively to all levels of the organization (including technical and non-technical audiences, Senior Leadership, VPs and the C-level executives).
- Undertakes the highly complex applications development projects involving multiple disciplines and may impact multiple facets of the business.
- Develops enterprise-level information technology solutions by analyzing, coding, testing, and implementing new and by modifying existing software applications with full competency.
- Leads design/coding sessions, develops solutions, and implements solutions.
- Articulates design and resolves technical/design conflicts as they occur.
- Coordinates with business analysts and users to determine requirements. Performs highly complex analyses of system requirements and of existing business processes and information systems.
- Works with customers and technical staff to resolve problems with software and responds to suggestions for improvements and enhancements.
- Reviews systems under development and related documentation. Participates in the development of software.
- Mentors and fosters growth of peers and team members.
- Leads advanced systems planning, scheduling and implementation.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
Will coach and mentor less-experienced analysts and act as team leader on highly complicated systems projects.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree (accredited) in Computer Science, MIS, or similar area of study, or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and four (4) years of relevant work experience.
- Experience: Ten (10) years of previous experience required (in addition to education requirement).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
Technically advanced knowledge or in-depth skills in one or more of the following is required:
- Significant knowledge of project management/change management in regards to acquisition/development life cycles.
- Systems development, implementation, upgrades and analyses.
- QA testing, catalyst or unified business modeling, system design and analysis.
- Knowledge of enterprise coding standards.
- Hands on experience in writing highly complex code.
- Ability to perform code reviews.
- Knowledge of software methodologies.
- Ability to learn new and emerging technologies.
- Ability to lead a group to consensus, solve problems, and accomplish tasks.
- Ability to mentor and train less knowledgeable peers and individuals.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to adapt to change.
- Demonstrate flexibility and a willingness to undertake a wide variety of challenging tasks.
- General business knowledge and concepts.
D. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities that Contribute to Success
May require technically advanced or in-depth skills in one or more of the following:
- Web application development, imaging technology.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements rarely;
- Normal setting for this job is an office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply. ABOUT WM
WM ([ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Principal Engineer, Software
) is North America’s largest comprehensive waste management environmental solutions provider. Previously known as Waste Management and based in Houston, Texas, WM is driven by commitments to put people first and achieve success with integrity. The company, through its subsidiaries, provides collection, recycling and disposal services to millions of residential, commercial, industrial and municipal customers throughout the U.S. and Canada. With innovative infrastructure and capabilities in recycling, organics and renewable energy, WM provides environmental solutions to and collaborates with its customers in helping them achieve their sustainability goals. WM has the largest disposal network and collection fleet in North America, is the largest recycler of post-consumer materials and is the leader in beneficial reuse of landfill gas, with a growing network of renewable natural gas plants and the most gas-to-electricity plants in North America. WM’s fleet includes nearly 11,000 natural gas trucks – the largest heavy-duty natural gas truck fleet of its kind in North America – where more than half are fueled by renewable natural gas. To learn more about WM and the company’s sustainability progress and solutions, visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Principal Engineer, Software
- Business Process Models
- Business Processes
- Catalyst (Software)
- Change Management