Process Control - Systems Administrator
Cleveland Cliffs is looking for an experienced Systems Administrator to support virtualization of Process Control Windows systems. The Administrator will work directly with process control and operations departments to facilitate automation and reporting systems.
As a Systems Administrator, you can expect to see your work everywhere; the steels you work with every day are used in building nations. Ideal candidates enjoy hands-on, challenging, family-like environments
SAN & Virtualization Infrastructure:
Provide administration and architectural guidance to the evolving high-availability infrastructure to support virtualization of Process Control Windows systems.
- Fibre-Channel network
- EVA P6000 (18TB)
- 3PAR 3400 (40TB)
- VMware virtualization environment
OpenVMS Systems Administration:
: Manage & maintain 19 OpenVMS Vax, Alpha, & Itanium systems across 2 sites as one member of a 3-person systems administration team. These systems run hundreds of software programs developed by Process Control engineers and are critical to on-going daily plant operations. Seven of the systems are part of two software development clusters; ten are primary production machines.
- Oversee hardware maintenance (contracted services), including simple diagnostics and replacement of disks and tape drives from on-site spares. Ensure required spare parts are available, either on site or confirmed available by the hardware maintenance contractor.
- Maintain disaster recovery protocols and procedures.
- Ensure software backups are performed and maintained, with file or system restores as needed.
- Perform regular file-system maintenance procedures, including checking for files reaching version limits, excessive duplicate versions, and integrity checks.
- Monitor systems’ performance.
- Provide DCL procedure programming assistance to Process Control engineers to integrate new applications into the software environment.
- Provide “3rd level support” (on-call) for critical issues. (Currently less than once a month.)
- Provide support for VMS layered products, primarily software development products such as CMS (Code Management System), language compilers (FORTRAN, C, C++), and DCL procedures which provide programmers simpler tools and DCL procedures for systems administration.
- One VMS/VAX system is virtualized using Charon/VAX 6620 emulation; that system utilizes storage from a SAN. All of the other VMS systems have redundant attached local storage.
- Support efforts to migrate from obsolete platforms.
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S.) in Computing/Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering.
- Ability to effectively communicate across all levels or the organization.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to or call
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S.) in Computing/Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology with at least two years of work-related experience.
1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that ALL Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Applicants for this position must be currently legally authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. The company generally does not sponsor candidates for temporary visas or permanent residency for this position.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
- Storage (Computing)
- Disaster Recovery