Under general direction, the Network Administrator will contribute to the organization through the implementation, maintenance, support, development and in some cases, design of communication networks within or between Company locations to ensure the integrity of high availability network infrastructure and provide maximum performance for end users.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the planning, configuration, and deployment of IT network and other infrastructure.
- Monitor and maintain current network infrastructure in multiple locations.
- Work alongside Projects, Applications, and Security teams to ensure secure and successful application and initiative implementations.
- Research and code level all network devices ensuring all devices of a certain model are running the same software according to vendor recommended best practices.
- Maximize uptime for all network systems by monitoring and performing preventative maintenance.
- Perform hardware and software upgrades, patches, backup and recovery procedures, and basic troubleshooting.
- Work with communications brokers and service providers to connect new offices and remote sites in a timely manner.
- Execute site surveys and assist with planning and implementation of site preparation activities.
- Work closely with each of the other groups in IT to provide the best possible network, uptime and service to the Company’s business units.
- Develop documentation and diagrams that supports network engineering and operations.
- Abide by Company safety policies and procedures.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- On-call and responsibilities during off-hours to monitor and respond to alerts, outages, and certain helpdesk incidents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, Licensure
- Associates Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field of study; or
- Three (3) or more years of IT experience.
Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Two (2) or more years of networking experience.
- CCNA certification and relevant Cisco Career Certifications.
Required Core Competencies – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate clearly in verbal and written form with both non-technical users and technical IT functions to be able to describe technical procedures clearly.
- Basic knowledge of networking devices, cabling, TCP/IP and OSI model.
- Basic understanding of network computer hardware and peripherals.
- High degree of flexibility, adapting to changing priorities and adjunct responsibilities.
- A strong focus on customer satisfaction, responsiveness, and productivity.
- Team Player: Take personal accountability and lead peers toward support of what is best for the Company.
- Stress Management: Remain poised under heavy pressure.
- Discipline: Behavior in accordance with rules of conduct and a good work ethic is applied daily in routine task management.
- Functions as an individual contributor with no supervisory responsibilities.
- Job is performed mostly out in the field and in an office setting.
This position may be subject to:
- Exposure to computer screens and requires regular use of a computer, keyboard, mouse, and multi-line telephone system.
- Extreme cold and heat: temperatures typically below 32o F or above 100o F for periods of more than one hour. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions as wind, rain, snow, and humidity.
- Noise: there is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level.
- Vibration: exposure to oscillating movements of the extremities or whole body.
- Hazards: includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to chemicals, combustibles, and explosives.
- Frequent field location visits may present more strenuous exertion than office work, like walking around a field location and interacting with the user community located there.
- The employee will regularly lift, push, carry and/or move up to 25-50 pounds.
- Frequent travel may be required to new offices and remote locations to set up, upgrade, or repair network facilities.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate
- Computer Architectures