The Medical Assistant performs a variety of duties to accommodate and support the clinical staff in the provision of client care. Medical Assistant performs all clinician orders in a timely and accurate manner adhering to all regulatory requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates and participates in a variety of patient care activities in the examination and treatment of patients to include: vital signs, blood draws, intake, assisting with diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, using standard equipment; records data for medical record.
- Performs patient intake and enters data into EMR.
- Adheres to patient intake standards
- Prepares patients for examination and treatment assisting clinicians where appropriate
- Prepare and set up medical supplies, instruments and equipment for diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- Confers with patient to obtain accurate information for records. Assists in completion of insurance/compensation/disability forms.
- Maintain work area in clean and orderly condition; set up, clean and disinfect examination rooms; monitor and ensure appropriate inventory of medical supplies in examination rooms; replenish as required.
- Complies with quality assurance, HIPAA, customer service, infection control, safety, and workers compensation guidelines and other policies as set forth.
- Represents clinic by displaying a respectful and caring manner with patients and their families. Independently problem solves and utilizes resources to obtain patient information when patient is unable to communicate. Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
- Ensures adequate and appropriate patient follow-up regarding, referrals and diagnostic testing. Contributes to patient care through patient and family education, distributing resource literature and community service recommendations and referrals as needed.
- Interacts calmly, respectfully and in a friendly manner with other representatives of services at the clinic. Refers patients to proper resources for clinic policies such as billing support. Assists in clerical duties as needed, functioning as a member of the health care team.
- Work directly under supervision of Medical Director, Site Administrator and Registered Nurse to provide uncompromising service to patients and community.
- Performs various laboratory testing, daily controls and additional duties as needed.
- Supports Patient Service Representatives by performing the patient registration process as needed and under direction of management.
- Participate in development and implementation of general policies and procedures to provide for the physical and emotional comfort and safety of patients. Maintains competence through continuing education and in-service training.
- Other duties as assigned and requested.
- Attendance and being on time, ready to work your scheduled hours is an essential job requirement.
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE:
- Associates Degree in related field preferred, minimum of High School diploma required.
- 1 to 3 years' experience in a medical office/clinic environment required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform patient intake and document problems appropriately, seeking guidance as needed
- High degree of verbal communication and interpersonal skills to determine needs, provide information, instruct, and provide emotional support
- Working knowledge of general office equipment including fax and copy machines, multi-line phone system, and personal computer
- Working knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to address and resolve conflict in a professional manner
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Ability to be flexible
- Strong planning, problem solving, organizational, verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to perform detail-oriented work.
- Ability to work independently yet in conjunction with a team.
- Ability to adapt to a changing and growing atmosphere.
- Courteous and professional demeanor.
- Willingness to work as a team player to meet common goals of the department.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor and composure when handling difficult clients/stressful situations.
- Promote positive department morale through effective teamwork.
PHYSICAL / ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
- Job performed in a well-lighted, modern office setting.
- Occasional travel locally
- Occasional lifting/carrying (10 pounds or less)
- Occasional standing/bending
- Moderate to high stress level
- Prolonged sitting
- Prolonged computer/PC work
- Prolonged telephone use
This position may require manual dexterity and/or frequent use of the computer, telephone, 10-key, calculator, office machines (copier, scanner, fax) and/or the ability to perform repetitive motions and/or meet production standards to comply with the essential functions. Also, may require physical and/or mental stamina to work overtime, additional hours beyond a regular schedule and/or more than five days per week.