To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Lancaster, CA
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Secretary II - Float Pool - Part Time/Days
Antelope Valley Hospital • Lancaster, CA
Posted 1 month ago
Under the supervision of the Department Director, Assistant Director and/or Charge Nurse competently performs department secretarial tasks as well as various supportive duties.
Essential Duties for Secretary I:
• Provides normal clerical support as needed to support unit functions such as typing, filing, faxing and ordering of department supplies
• Assembles/maintains medical records according to hospital/unit practice
• Processes patient paperwork and may verify patient charges
• Transcribes physician orders accurately
• High degree of involvement with patients and family members
• Transports patients when required
• Performs errands when assigned to facilitate unit work flow; i.e. transports specimens to lab, acts as messenger to various departments, etc.
• Answers telephones in a courteous manner and directs calls appropriately
• Assist in maintenance of safe, comfortable, and therapeutic environment for patients
• May assist in completion of unit support record keeping, department reports and/or statistical sheets and department meeting minutes
• May be required to maintain department specific certifications
• Maintains department inventories
• Operates technical equipment safely and appropriately
• Orders supply requisitions for a variety of hospital services
• Participates actively in the orientation and training of new staff as assigned.
• Demonstrates knowledge regarding special needs and behaviors of age specific groups
• Participates in age specific educational and training programs
• Demonstrates proficiency in required age specific competencies.
Essential Duties for Secretary II:
• Meets the essential duties of Secretary I
• Prepare schedule of department secretaries and assist with unit staffing as needed.
• Patient scheduling and coordination as required by unit
• Responsibility for department time and attendance management, staffing sheets and maintenance of department attendance records according to department needs and as assigned
• Handles department reports which may vary in volume and degree of complexity according to department requirements
• Coordinates training of Secretary I
• Processes and coordinates information for team leader/charge nurse
• Reviews department purchasing charges for accuracy and makes corrections, as needed
• May retrieve, review for accuracy and/or coordinate statistical data to validate the quality of clinical work and patient charges
• Coordinates and oversees special projects as assigned by department director for Secretary I’s
• Participates in Performance Improvement activities
• Logs, audits, and inputs patient charges into hospital wide system. (Duties and projects may vary according to unit/department needs.)
• Assists in special projects/assignments.
Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of current AVH policies and procedures including legal documents pertinent to unit, use of written resources and forms and the hospital structure and resources
• Knowledge of office practices and procedures normally acquired through six (6) months experience and completion of high school studies in secretarial skills desirable
• Ability to type 20-30 wpm
• Ability to be flexible to meet staffing requirements
• Ability to learn computer skills within six (6) months of employment
• Ability to adhere with AVH Absenteeism and Tardiness Policy
• Ability to adhere with AVH Leaves of Absence Policy
• Ability to adhere with AVH Paid Time Off (PlO) Policy
• Ability to adhere with AVH Recording of Hours Worked Policy
• Ability to adhere to the department dress code
• Ability to organize work and establish priorities
• Ability to expand on own initiative in performance of duties
• Skill and ability to follow the telephone etiquette/standards
• Conforms to AVH Standards of Excellence
• Ability to function effectively under pressure and meet time parameters
• Ability to communicate effectively while maintaining good working relationships with co workers, managers and other hospital staff
• Ability to adhere to the normal standards of courtesy and conduct as defined under the rules of hospitality at AVH
• Ability to maintain the confidentiality of patient, hospital and department information
• Ability to adhere to safety rules and regulations
• Safely and effectively uses all equipment necessary to carry out duties
• Ability to interpret and function under hospital and department policies and procedures
• Conforms with and supports hospital quality assurance and Improvement guidelines
• Ability to participate effectively in department and hospital staff education
• Display a willingness to work as a team player
• Ability to give and support the highest level of patient/customer satisfaction at all times
• Supports and adheres to the values and mission statement established by the AVH Board of Directors
• Ability to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of Corporate Compliance rules and regulations, complies with duty to report behavior standard, demonstrates understanding of purpose for Corporate Compliance hotline and importance of seeking guidance from a supervisor when in doubt regarding a possible Corporate Compliance issue
Required Licenses, Certifications and/or Experience:
• CPR Certification - as required by area of care
• Annual Restraint Certification - as required by area of care
• Annual Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certification - as required by area of care
• Working knowledge of basic medical terminology or ability to successfully complete studies in medical terminology within six (6) months of employment.
Work often performed under demanding, emotional, and physical conditions. Accepts additional workload during times of unexpected circumstances (e.g., high activity, high census; and sudden emergencies).
A detailed description of the physical requirements of this job is maintained in the Occupational Health Department.
Looking for an opportunity to work in healthcare the way you always dreamed you could? At Antelope Valley Hospital, our employees are at the heart of what we do best – delivering high quality, patient-centered healthcare.
Antelope Valley Hospital, a 420 bed acute care facility, located just 60 miles north of Los Angeles, the Antelope Valley is one of Southern California’s fastest growing communities. We are a Level II Trauma Center and Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center Accredited. Serving the community for over 50 years, our non-profit hospital has grown to be the preeminent healthcare facility for our district’s nearly 1.2 million residents.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.