Who We Are
Join our System Integration (SI) team whose accomplishments make a positive impact supporting the U.S. Navy and national defense! We are seeking shipboard alteration installers for fleet modernization. The selected candidate will be supporting our Systems Integrations department working on active class submarines and surface ships welding to assist with alterations and installations for fleet modernization on various contracts such as Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Naval Information Warfare Systems Command and Naval Surface Warfare Center. Selected candidate will be required to travel to shipyards and military bases located around or out of the country when not assigned to a local task. Per diem available based on location when on travel, travel and lodging expenses are covered by the company. #LI-MJ1 *TL
*Candidate must be able to demonstrate welding ability on needed processes through qualification testing and pass with a satisfactory grade from our Quality Assurance Team with in three weeks of start date for continued employment.
**This position requires business travel. HII policy requires that all employees must be complete with their COVID vaccination to engage in business travel.
What You Will Do
- Applies appropriate welding processes to join, surface, fabricate, or repair parts of metal or other weld-able materials.
- Works from blueprints, engineering sketches, charts or work orders.
- Lays out and marks points on parts or subassemblies using rule, square, scribe or templates.
- Positions pieces to be welded into jigs, holding fixtures, guides and steps using measuring instruments and hand tools.
- May inspect completed work for conformance to specifications.
- Provides guidance and work leadership to less-experienced welders.
- May serve as a team leader. Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
- Participates in special projects as required
What You Must Have
- Must have High School education/equivalent, and 6 years of related experience.
- Must have current or prior certified steel stick welding (SMAW) certificate applicable with MIL-STD-248.
- Must have formal weld and/or brazing training and/or combination piping and plate welding qualifications.
- Must be able to work from blueprints, engineering sketches, charts or work orders as well as written and verbal instruction.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a DOD Secret Clearance.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a DBIDS/CAC badge for base access/credentials.
- Must provide own hand tools as designated per trades specialty.
- Must have a valid drivers license.
- Must be willing to travel when not assigned to a local tasking.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Candidates with welding experience on marine vessels and associated systems preferred.
- Candidates who are currently enrolled or have graduated from and/or completed a vocational school or skilled trades certificate program are preferred.
- Current Shipyard Competent Person Certification preferred.
- Current OSHA 10 Maritime Certificate a plus.
Must be able to lift, carry and transport heavy equipment and boxes. The exact weight requirements will be determined by the specific job, but no less than 50 lbs. Able to work on and climb ladders, work in extreme temperature environments, aboard ships, in shipyards, under industrial conditions and in confined spaces. Able to perform other duties as required which may involve high heat, humidity, noise and dirty conditions, working aloft or over the sides of vessels. May ride ships at sea for extended periods. May require wearing a respirator. Travel may be required within and outside of the continental United States.
Building on a legacy of more than a century of naval shipbuilding, Technical Solutions, a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries provides mission-critical solutions to a wide variety of government and commercial customers worldwide. Comprising nearly 6,000 professionals in 45 states and 16 countries, our unique national security services portfolio includes unmanned systems, defense and federal solutions, and nuclear and environmental services. For more information, visit tsd.huntingtoningalls.com.
Huntington Ingalls Industries is America’s largest military shipbuilding company and a provider of professional services to partners in government and industry. For more than a century, HII’s Newport News and Ingalls shipbuilding divisions in Virginia and Mississippi have built more ships in more ship classes than any other U.S. naval shipbuilder. HII’s Technical Solutions division supports national security missions around the globe with unmanned systems, nuclear and environmental services, and defense and federal solutions. Headquartered in Newport News, Virginia, HII employs more than 42,000 people operating both domestically and internationally. For more information, visit: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Senior Welder - 4329.
Federal Executive Order 14042 requires that covered contractor employees who work on, or in connection with, covered Federal contracts or at covered contractor workplaces may be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and comply with other requirements. Covered contractor employees also must comply with agency COVID-19 workplace safety requirements while in Federal workplaces. Applicant agrees to comply with said requirements to the extent they apply to the applied-for position.
Huntington Ingalls Industries is an Equal Opportunity/Vets and Disabled Employer. U.S. Citizenship may be required for certain positions.
- Confined Spaces
- Heavy Equipment