Grainger is a broad line, business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) supplies and other related products and services. More than 3.2 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products such as safety gloves, ladders, motors and janitorial supplies, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 5,000 suppliers provide Grainger with more than 1.6 million products stocked in Grainger’s distribution centers and branches worldwide.
Senior Accountants play a meaningful role in supporting Grainger’s strategy by assuring
effective end-to-end processes and controls in addition to timely and accurate financials.
Through extensive review, analysis, interpreting of financial metrics and benchmarking,
they also deliver valuable insights to help instill a Controllership mindset across the
organization. Senior Accountants are not only expected to drive a disciplined approach,
but are also empowered to seek creative solutions.
This position has various responsibilities, including income tax accounting, and interfaces
with both finance and non-finance professionals across multiple business units, providing
tax and other accounting support for business decisions.
This role supports Grainger’s strategy by being critical to the closing process and will
perform extensive preparation, review, analysis and reporting, including balance sheet
and P&L analytics, calculating and interpreting financial metrics per the rules and
guidance of ASC 740.
In addition, there is an opportunity to play a meaningful cross-functional role in the
Controllership model and work in analysis, accounting and financial reporting for equitybased
compensation, equity transactions, earnings per share calculation, and goodwill,
among other key areas of Finance.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
Apply GAAP while executing all requested Controllership activities in an accurate
and timely manner. Ensure assigned GL accounts are accurately stated and
substantiated. Leverage Blackline to automate and streamline the closing
• Apply ASC 740- Accounting for income taxes- in the preparation and analysis of
the quarterly and annual effective tax rate, deferred taxes, tax related balance
sheet reconciliations, tax impact of stock based compensation and equity
accounts, provision to return, and tax footnotes.
• Effectively communicate results to Senior Management and external auditorsn
• Complete tax balance sheet and income statement analytics and explain business
reasons for large variances. Calculate key metrics and explain deviations to
Understand and clearly articulate the processes that impact areas of responsibility.
• Partner and effectively collaborate and communicate with cross-functional teams
to ensure consideration from a tax accounting perspective from both a GAAP and
• Perform benchmarking to assess performance against competition
• Ensure all assigned key and operating controls over financial reporting are
designed and operating effectively.
• Conduct technical accounting research and document conclusions. Maintain and
prepare adequate process documentation as necessary..
• Drive continuous improvement by automating, refining, and implementing
processes and tools within Controllership and supporting business functions.
• Assess risks and opportunities and identify key operational and financial issues to
be addressed. Provide recommendations and influence business decisions.
• Collaborate and assist cross functional business partners to execute strategic
initiatives and investigate and resolve issues.
• Respond to ad hoc reporting and analysis requests on a timely and accurate basis.
• Embracing cross-functional opportunities in our Controllership model and work in
analysis, accounting and financial reporting for equity-based compensation, equity
transactions, earnings per share calculation, and goodwill, among other key areas
• Be pro-active, responsive and practical business partner as well as an effective
communicator to senior management, business partners and auditors.
• Accept new responsibilities as business needs change.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; CPA and/or MBA preferred
• 3+ years of relevant experience
• Experience and background in ASC 740- Accounting for Income Tax
• Excellent analytical skills, intellectual curiosity, big picture thinking, ability to
challenge the status quo and determine how controllership activities can be
planned and executed more effectively and efficiently
• Understanding end to end processes, identification of critical risks to assess
whether controls are designed and operating effectively
• Financial statement acumen, including knowledge of connectivity between Profit &
Loss, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow statements in addition to disclosure
• Understanding and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
(GAAP), with research and implementation of new accounting standards as
• Adherence to deadlines, especially during the monthly and quarterly close
process. Additional hours may be required during close cycles
• Self-starter and ability to work independently, solve problems, and achieve results
while managing multiple priorities
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to understand the details
and effectively share with Senior Management in a clear and concise manner
• Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to build effective relationships and
influence decision making
• Agility and flexibility to operate in a dynamic and fast-paced organization
• Outstanding work ethic, team-oriented and customer-focused
• Drive to learn about different areas of the business, as well as a desire to
strengthen financial acumen through diverse experiences and opportunities
• Experience with SAP, BPC and Blackline are desired
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
• Knowledge of CorpTax or similar tax provision software a plus
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
Standard Accounting Practices