Do you have the desire to broaden your high-level understanding of planning, design, and construction of highway projects? Do you want to travel the entire state highway system both physically and virtually to review pavement, culvert, structure, and various other conditions? Are you looking for a flexible full-time schedule? If so, come join the Project Development team!This position can be under-filled as a Highway Designer II. Designer III - $24.481 / Designer II - 21.182
Use our new quick apply process! Just attach your resume when prompted. No resume? Use the text box provided to tell us about your experience and qualifications. Examples of Work :
• Conducts engineering reviews and prepares technical reports for highway and bridge construction projects that involve replacement or resurfacing of existing roadway pavement, shoulder widening, culvert extension, bridge improvement/replacement, and/or geometric correction.
• Reviews and analyzes pavement condition and other information about the existing roadway, including typical cross sections, structural information, right-of-way information, culvert data, and proximity of environmentally sensitive resources, requests improvement recommendations from engineers in other divisions, coordinates with internal staff and other State and/or Federal agencies to ensure compliance with design standards and other applicable State and Federal regulations.
• Researches agency databases or consults with agency employees and analyzes existing roadway information and identifies needs or deficiencies; determines and recommends project scope definitions.
• Develops detailed project cost estimates by calculating quantities in accordance with Standard Specifications for Highway Construction.
• Develops and documents alternatives for elements of project scope as needed to determine solutions for project scope.
• Develops preliminary survey requests by estimating the project area.
• Performs project site visits to facilitate development of the scope of work regarding roadway culverts or other project features. Overnight travel is unlikely.
• Maintains communication between NDOT divisions and district offices concerning elements of project scope.
• Updates and organizes computer files used in the project development phase of a design or construction/improvement projects.
• Manages multiple projects that are at various stages of completion simultaneously. Maintains and updates project status and needs.
• Participates in meetings as needed. Completes special projects as assigned. Provides assistance to the Project Scoping Engineer as assigned. Qualifications / Requirements :
REQUIREMENTS: Five years of experience in highway civil engineering design, including CADD applications and practices OR Post high school coursework or training in the design field mentioned above may substitute for two of the five years experience required on a year-for-year basis.
PREFERRED: Two years' experience in roadway design, highway construction, and/or related field. Ability to read, understand, and interpret project plans, agreements, and other contract documents. Ability to clearly and effectively communicate, both verbally and in written form, with individuals at different levels within an organization or the public. Perform mathematical calculations, including geometry, algebra, and trigonometry. Experience in project coordination and scheduling. Strong Organizational Skills. Experience using Microsoft Word and Excel.
OTHER: Must have a valid driver's license. Coursework, training, or experience in design, drafting, engineering, highway construction, or other construction field using CADD applications and practices. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities :
Knowledge of Nebraska Board of Public Roads Classifications and Standards, Minimum Design Standards, AASHTO Design Policy, ADA Accessibility guidelines, Nebraska Standard Specifications for Highway Construction, State and Federal regulations, policies, and guidelines applicable to highway projects, general transportation related engineering, design, and construction principles such as surveys, drainage design, geometrics, roads, bridges, and culverts.
NDOT encourages applicants of all ages and experience.
- Civil Engineering