About Working at Commerce
Wouldn’t it be great to build your career at a bank that’s known for helping people with their financial challenges? That’s exactly what you’d be doing when you join the team at Commerce Bank. We’re looking for teammates who are ready to do whatever it takes to help our customers with their everyday financial needs. You’d be helping yourself too, because Commerce has a tradition of recognizing and rewarding team members for their talent, skills and contributions.
No wonder we’ve been an industry leader for over 150 years and have developed a reputation as a great place to work in the financial services world. If you’d like to be a part of a team and culture that is respected by its peers and in your community, we should talk. We’re always looking for the best and brightest.
About This Job
As a Tax Accountant with the Commerce Trust Company (CTC) you will work closely with the entire tax team in all CTC locations to find best tax compliance and consulting practices. You will be involved in the tax advice of our Private Client Service Model which provides a holistic approach to our high net-worth clients. This tax advice will range from fairly common to very sophisticated solutions as dictated by our clients’ needs.
The Commerce Trust Company, a division of Commerce Bank, is ranked among the top 25 investment advisors in the U.S. with over $62 billion in client assets. The Commerce Trust Company concentrates on serving individuals, families, business owners and institutions investment management needs through a combination of world class capabilities and resources, objective advice, customized solutions and unparalleled service.
- Responsible for accurate and timely preparation/review, filing, and administration of tax returns, including individual, gift, tax-exempt, partnership, estate and fiduciary returns
- Serve as a local resource for consulting and technical tax research in a wide area of taxation for our external and internal client.
- Build relationships with internal and external partners and enhance the ability of the Commerce Trust Company to expand its trust/investment management opportunities with current and prospective high net-worth clients
- Coordinate scanning documentation into tax preparation software, maintaining organization of electronic files associated with each client, monitoring of deadlines and tracking of work status through maintaining CCH Practice Management
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- High level of organization and ability to efficiently complete multiple projects with limited supervision
- Excellent analytical, technical and communication skills in a team and multi-location environment with high focus on client service
- Strong skills on tax preparation systems (CCH ProSystems fx and OneSoure Trust Tax)
- Strong skill set working in an integrated software and paperless tax preparation environment
- Ability to efficiently manage, monitor, plan, execute, direct and complete multiple tax projects on an independent basis
- Motivated and organized self-starter with strong attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Inquisitive, agile and strong team player with excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to remain adaptable and resilient to all situations with an optimistic outlook and cast a positive shadow that is aligned with our culture and Core Values
- Intermediate level proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required
- Master's degree or progress towards degree preferred
- CPA or actively pursuing a CPA preferred
- 5+ years experience in a tax practice preferred
- Experience with private foundations and/or charitable trusts desired
Location: 1000 Walnut St, Kansas City, Missouri 64106
Attention To Detail