The (Sr.) Research Scientist/Engineer will report to the Scientific Director of Corporate R&D.
- This position is responsible for US technical efforts supporting the growth of the Elium® liquid thermoplastic composites business through customer technical support, application development, and innovative product development.
- The individual will provide hands-on technical applications and customer technical support for Elium® composites, and drive select, high potential, new technical developments in processes such as infusion, resin transfer molding, pultrusion, thermoforming, etc. In addition, they will act as the key US conduit in coordinating efforts with the global Elium® team and all people necessary to move projects forward.
- The position also includes supporting product stewardship activities together with a junior report.
A major focus is to generate and provide technical information and performance benefits of Elium® products to existing and potential customers, sometimes through direct customer engagement, and working closely together with global colleagues and Arkema commercial development personnel. Much of the success for composites products is being able to suggest the best ways for a customer to use the product(s) in their systems. Since each application, and each of the customers within the application, can be unique in their processes and desired outcome, it is an important aspect of this role to be able to adjust our recommendations to account for the differences in customers and their applications.
The following activities and responsibilities are to be conducted in coordination with the US Elium team and by leveraging the global Elium team:
- Leads or collaborates on new product or new application developments at customers, in concert with business development team 30%
- Designs and conducts lab and pilot scale experiments to verify results, and suggests compositional and processing improvements to meet customer requirements. Develops new test methods as needed to simulate customer testing. Collects and analyzes data to drive decisions on new formulations and subsequent experiments. 15-25%
- Conducts and supports technical service and developmental trial activities with and at customers for composites applications. Provides internal/external documentation support as needed. Troubleshoots the customers’ processes and adjusts them to use Arkema’s product offerings. 15-25%
- Performs appropriate characterizations and analyses (with A&SR) to confirm the quality of the product(s) being shipped and determines the most appropriate material offerings for the need. 20%
- Supervision: Direct supervision of day to day activities of junior team members 10%
Context & Environment
- This is a key position based in King of Prussia and resides within Corporate R&D group. This position requires the individual to be an independent contributor but also to be able to work with cross-functional teams internally as well as externally with customers and trade organizations. Individual will closely collaborate with global R&D peers and business development colleagues as well as manufacturing, supply chain, product safety and legal functions.
- Supports the site HES policy and complies with all regulatory and internal requirements
- Participates in HES activities provided by site management and Arkema Inc. (e.g., Behavioral Base Safety, SafeStart, etc.)
- Supports and promotes the reporting of all health, safety, environmental, near-miss, accident or injury incidents
- Travel – up to 25%
- Bachelors with > 8y experience or Master’s degree with > 10y experience in polymer synthesis and/or thermoset formulations, fabrication and/or processing of composite materials, (or related field); PhD in Materials, Polymers or Chemistry with 4-8 y experience in polymer synthesis and/or thermoset formulations, fabrication and/or processing of composite materials, (or related field)
- Expertise in chemistry, polymer, or composites materials chemistry, characterization, applications, testing, and/or processing
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Track record of working with customers
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects and act as a player-coach
- Record of working safely and promoting safety enhancements
- Understanding of structure/property relationships
- Ability to identify opportunities for IP and follow through with patent filings
- Strong customer focus approach, track record of working with customers
- Cross functional and regional/global effectiveness capabilities
- Strong influencing skills
- Demonstrated ability to self-prioritize and work on multiple tasks
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated with strong work ethic, positive attitude, and committed to delivering results
- Strong Presentation skills and ability to generate short presentations that quickly make a point
- Active in professional and technical organizations
Building on its unique set of expertise in materials science, Arkema offers a portfolio of first-class technologies to address ever-growing demand for new and sustainable materials. With the ambition to become in 2024 a pure player in Specialty Materials, the Group is structured into three complementary, resilient and highly innovative segments dedicated to Specialty Materials - Adhesive Solutions, Advanced Materials, and Coating Solutions - accounting for some 80% of Group sales, and a well-positioned and competitive Intermediates segment. Arkema offers cutting-edge technological solutions to meet the challenges of, among other things, new energies, access to water, recycling, urbanization and mobility, and fosters a permanent dialogue with all its stakeholders. The Group reported sales of €8.7 billion ($9.7 billion) in 2019, and operates in 55 countries with 20,500 employees worldwide.
The diversity of its employees is an asset that the Arkema group wants to preserve. Its non-discrimination policy applies to recruitment, salary levels and career management. The Arkema group is committed to ensuring diversity among its employees.
Arkema Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Arkema Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence.
Genetics, Coating, Manufacturing Engineer, Materials Science, Chemical Engineer, Science, Manufacturing, Engineering
- Interpersonal Skills
- Composite Materials
- Technical Services