If you find science, speed, and success exhilarating, you have come to the right place.
Novavax, Inc (Nasdaq:NVAX) is a biotechnology company that creates transformational vaccines that address some of the world's most pressing infectious diseases. We have more than a decade of experience contending with some of the world's most devastating diseases, including COVID-19, seasonal influenza, RSV, Ebola, MERS, and SARS. Hard-won lessons and significant advances illustrate that our proven technology has tremendous potential to make a substantial contribution to public health worldwide.
Our scientists are committed to developing vaccine candidates for some of the world's toughest viral threats by utilizing the power of our innovative recombinant nanoparticle vaccine platform. Our vaccine technology combines the power and speed of genetic engineering with the immunogenicity enhancing properties of our Matrix-M™ adjuvant to efficiently produce highly immunogenic particles targeting some of the most pressing viral infectious diseases.
Novavax, Inc. is headquartered in Gaithersburg, Maryland with additional facilities in Uppsala, Sweden and Bohumil, Czech Republic.
Summary of the Position:
Novavax is seeking a Senior Scientist to join our Downstream Process Development group in Gaithersburg, MD. Qualified individuals will play a leading role in downstream process development and process characterization activities, new technology evaluation, and technical support of cGMP manufacturing for proteins, nanoparticles, and virus-like particle (VLP) based vaccines. The candidate will ensure scientifically sound experimental design, data analysis, and reporting. The candidate will be responsible for drafting technical development reports summarizing critical data. The candidate is expected to be highly self-motivated, well organized, and an innovative thinker focused on execution with a sense of urgency. This position will report to the Senior Director, Downstream Process Development.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Independently design, perform and analyze results from studies to develop or optimize processes to ensure a phase-appropriate, consistent, high-yielding, and scalable downstream process.
* Develop and optimize early-stage processes and complete process characterization studies.
* Advise scientists and research associates in the initiation and execution of laboratory experimentation, considering economic, regulatory and safety factors.
* Present results of work, interpret data, and draw conclusions regarding presented material and nature of work.
* Write technical reports utilizing sound scientific reasoning and interpretation of the available data. Generated documents will include process flow diagrams, process descriptions, and technical support studies.
* Perform hands on work in a downstream purification lab, specifically column chromatography and filtration operations for vaccine production, process development, process characterization, and scale up.
* Perform lab-scale experiments to identify root-causes, support process changes, generate, and/or resolve manufacturing non-conformances.
* Perform analytical assays, as needed.
* Collaborate and coordinate with colleagues from Discovery, Process Sciences, Upstream Development, Formulation Development, and Analytical Development teams.
* Train staff on new process and technologies, as needed.
* PhD in Bio/Chem Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Science, Biochemistry, biophysics, Molecular Biology, Life Sciences, vaccine development, or a related scientific discipline with 2 plus years of experience, or MS degree with 3 plus years of experience in pharmaceutical or biotech companies.
* Demonstrated technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others, and independent thought in suggesting experimental design.
* Demonstrated strong project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
* A thorough understanding and working knowledge of the principles of purification and filtration processes is essential, with solid hands-on downstream process experience with chromatography systems, such as AKTA, and tangential flow (UFDF) filtration is required.
* Excellent record keeping abilities to adequately record, analyze and document data generated in support of regulatory requirements are essential.
* Ability to think critically, demonstrate troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
* Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are essential.
* Self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership in areas of responsibility and willingness to accept temporary responsibilities outside of initial job description.
* Ability to work and collaborate in cross functional teams (research, development, and manufacturing) in a fast pace and dynamic team setting with a sense of urgency.
* High energy level and a positive outlook coupled with the requisite "can do" attitude and a willingness to do what it takes to achieve personal and organizational goals and overcome obstacles.
* Direct experience with virus-derived recombinant products and/or viral particles and cell harvest and clarification techniques (centrifugation, filtration, etc.) is a plus.
* Practical demonstration of the use of statistical design of experiments and statistical analysis is a plus.
Novavax offers a base salary, annual bonus, equity grants, professional career development/growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, Rx, STD, LTD, Life, Optional Life, 401(k) plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Novavax is an equal employment opportunity employer. Employment and advancement opportunities are available to all individuals on an at-will basis, regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, protective hairstyle, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Except where prohibited by applicable state law, this position requires that you be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless you need a reasonable accommodation or qualify for an exemption.
- Biochemical Assays