TITLE: Health and Benefits Legal Consultant (Mercer Health & Benefits LLC – Chicago, IL)
- Review current developments in legal and technical areas relating to employee benefits, undertake required research, and prepare complex technical analyses.
- Develop market-differentiating advice, insights, and solutions related to health and welfare plans.
- Analyze key policy, legislative and legal developments and issues, and share advice, insights and solutions with internal and external clients.
- Review work prepared by others.
- Design and draft legal documents including plan documents, employment policies, communication to participants, plan governance and administrative materials.
- Act as legal/technical expert providing advice, insights and solutions to clients and consultants on unique legal/technical and compliance issues affecting strategies, programs, plans (design and operations), and practices.
- Draft ERISA documents, restatements and amendments including plan documents, SPDs, SMMs, and Cafeteria Plans.
- Consult with clients on design, and plan qualifications under the IRC and ERISA.
- Present consulting capabilities to clients and prospective clients along with sales consultants, account managers, and business consultants.
- Give presentations on a variety of benefits law topics, as needed, to clients, prospects and HR/benefits professionals in a variety of settings, including meetings, conferences and other forums.
- Identify marketing opportunities and review marketing and business focused materials for legal/technical accuracy.
- Remain abreast in their field of expertise through research and continuing education designed to enhance expertise pertaining to various human resources and legal/technical areas, including HR strategies, benefit plans, plan governance (federal and state compliance), employment policies and practices and operational/administrative processes. Manage ad hoc questions including problem-solving on administrative and operations issues pertaining to compliance.
- Participate in and chair client calls, as necessary.
- Prepare and revise PowerPoint presentations on account-based plans and HIPAA privacy and security.
- Conduct risk assessments and prepare gap analysis.
- Draft HIPAA Privacy and Security Manuals.
- Advise on health plan operations and wellness programs.
- Conduct ACA report audits.
- Prepare and deliver clear and concise client-friendly communications and intellectual capital.
- Understand health and benefits products, services, and tools including vendor/carrier markets.
- Must have Juris Doctor Degree or foreign equivalent plus five (5) years of experience in the job offered, or as a Legal, Compliance, Risk Management Consultant, Legal Consultant, or a related position.
- Must have five (5) years of legal experience with: Employee benefits or tax; ACA requirements; Conducting HIPAA risk assessments; State insurance laws and regulations; HR practice, laws, plans, and operations; Advising on employee benefit topics with service provider firm, consulting firm, law firm, or government agency; and Benefits law experience. In the alternative, the employer will accept an LLM in Employee Benefits or a related field and two (2) years of experience with the above skills. Employer will accept pre- or post-LLM experience. Must hold a current license or certificate to practice law from at least one (1) state bar association. Any suitable combination of education, training or experience is acceptable. 10% domestic travel is required to various and unanticipated company and client sites.
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We’re in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees — whether we’re designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people’s current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we’ve turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Health and Benefits Legal Consultant (Mercer Health & Benefits LLC – Chicago, IL) - EXTERNAL We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Health and Benefits Legal Consultant (Mercer Health & Benefits LLC – Chicago, IL) - EXTERNAL.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.