Special Police Officers are responsible for performing safety and security work by protecting and controlling access to Metro's numerous rail yards, bus divisions, and facilities. The Special Police Unit operates, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week to ensure the safety of the employees and our visitors. This position offers a starting annual salary of $41,104. WMATA offers a rich benefit package to include health, dental, group life insurance, paid holidays, annual and sick leave, 457 Deferred Compensation Plan and 401A Retirement Plan as well as tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and free transportation on Metrobus and rail. MOS/SOC:
Lateral transfers will be considered for candidates with current military occupational skills and/or service occupational codes (SOC) listed below or have similar documented training/designations.
Branch MOS/SOC and/or Military Function US Air Force Security Forces, Combat Control, Combat Rescue Officer, Pararescue, Tactical Air Control Party Specialist, Special Operations US Army 11B, 11C, 18B, 31B, 31K US Marine Corps 5800,5811, 5812, 5813, 5814, 5816, 5819 US Navy 001509, 002650, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2099, 90IT, 90IU, 90MP, 9545, MA Master-At-Arms US Coast Guard Minimum Qualifications Education
- High school diploma or possession of a general equivalency diploma (GED)
- No prior work experience is required.
- Possession of a valid driver's license issued by the state of residency
- Two (2) years of Customer Service experience
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations. Job Summary
The Special Police Officer position is responsible for performing police safety and security work. The incumbent will be responsible for security and control of the assigned areas and the enforcement of the Authority's regulations. Work is performed with some independence in accordance with established policies and procedures, supplemented by periodic instruction and meeting. The employee performs routine work for the Authority. The duties are performed during varying shifts as required. Supervision will be from the shift supervisor assigned. Essential Functions
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision. Evaluation Criteria
- Provides protection of the Authority's personnel and property to prevent vandalism.
- Patrols on foot or using a vehicle to detect, investigate, and report situations which differ from normal such as open doors, broken windows, power failures, fires, or safety hazards.
- Assures that only authorized persons enter the Authority's property.
- Maintains radio/telephone contact with the Authority's Police Headquarters and Local Police Headquarters, if appropriate.
- Directs traffic on Authority property.
- Warns persons of rule infractions or violations, and apprehends or evicts violators from premises, using force when necessary.
- Operates detecting devices to screen individuals and prevent passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas.
- Inspects and adjusts security systems, equipment, and machinery to ensure operational use and to detect evidence tampering.
- Prepares report of daily activities to include any irregularities. Maintains the building/area security log, equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, and/or other unusual occurrences.
- Utilizes watch tour equipment such as radio, and Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) spray as required.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.
Flexible Spending Account