Beacon is currently seeking a Peer Specialist to join our team at our Manhattan/Bronx location. The Peer Specialist assists members in connecting to treatment services and works with individuals receiving services from network providers with the goal of teaching/improving self-advocacy skills. A Peer Specialist also helps providers develop and/or enhance their understanding of both person-centered care and the support network available to members. A Peer Specialist functions as part of an interdisciplinary team designed to meet the needs of members
What does a typical day look like?
Peers will use their personal lived experience with mental and emotional and/or substance abuse challenges to empower individuals served by the program to define and pursue their own strength based recovery and wellness goals
- Document stated goals, objectives by the member
- Connect them with community-based resources
- Work collaboratively with clinicians in pursuit of person centric holistic approach to care. Help create crisis prevention plan in conjunction with the ICM Clinicians.
- Engage, educate and encourage individuals and their families to connect with support services, community resources and advocacy assistance.
- Document member progress associated with stated goals and objectives
- Will provide peer support during crises of individuals who are frequent high utilizers of emergency department services who fail to engage in community treatment
- Will provide peer support during crisis of individuals who have multiple readmissions and assist in identifying barriers to maintaining community tenure
- Assist members in the understanding of plan benefits where appropriate
- Secure and maintain all local peer certification requirements when and where applicable
- Inform appropriate authority of any suspected waste fraud and abuse of plan benefits related to the member
- Will reach out to recently discharged individuals to assist in their transition, support them to adhere to any follow-up appointments, and help them leverage their own strengths
What you Contribute?
Education: Bachelor’s degree in education, communication or other related field preferred.
Licensure: New York Certification as a Peer Specialist required. If incumbent does not have the certification at time of hire, it must be obtained within one year of employment. WRAP, WHAM or other CPS or CARES certifications, preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Three years’ experience in a relevant field, face-to-face engagements with peers, performing community resource mapping activities, documented skills and abilities in needs assessment. Proven ability and experience in community relations/networking and information and resource development and maintenance. Established knowledge of and work experience with the Medicaid affiliated population desirable.
- Personal experience living with a behavioral health condition.
- Knowledge of New York community and state resources.
- Ability to be fully committed and engaged within the NY peer network, familiarity with key points for consumer contact and ability to identify educational needs as the result to changes to New York State’s redesign of Medicaid.
- Basic Computer Skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
What Makes Us Different?
- Here, it’s not just a job – it’s an opportunity to change lives.
- Our employees are learners, innovators and original
- Our mission and values guide the way we treat our members, providers and each other.
What We Have to Offer:
- Healthcare benefits available starting day 1!
- Health & well-being incentives, such as gym membership reimbursement
- 401K with company match to help reach your future financial goals
- Generous PTO, because we know life happens outside of work
- Tuition reimbursement so you can keep reaching your fullest potential
If Beacon sounds like the place for you, what are you waiting for? Apply with us today to get started!
Beacon Health Options is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer as well as a Drug Free and Tobacco Free Work Environment. EOE/AA/M/F/Veterans/Disabled
At Beacon Health Options, our candidate's data privacy is a top priority. Our recruiting team conducts all communications using official company email (@BeaconHealthOptions.com). Only candidates who have applied for an open position through our Careers page (careers.beaconhealthoptions.com) will be engaged in our interview process. Beacon conducts all interviews in person or over the phone. At no time during the recruiting process will any Beacon recruiter request any financial or personally identifiable information from you.
Central Process Scheduling