Apex Systems is looking for a Senior Systems Administrator for a Windows-based data center to add to our dynamic team of IT professionals. The successful candidate will support our client’s platform with production support, system administration, and technical sizing, as well as be involved in the design support for client application systems. The successful candidate will work with a team of Systems Engineers and Administrators to proactively maintain and improve the performance and availability of key applications used by the client.
Duties & Responsibilities
Education - Experience & Skills Required
- Hands-on systems administration.
- Utilize and operate server monitoring tools in a Windows environment.
- Provide senior level technical advice, guidance, and recommendations to management and technical specialists on critical Windows software updates and vulnerability issues; recommend mitigation strategies; ensure coordination and collaboration on upgrade activities; and successfully implement hardening of the server infrastructure in appropriate server roles.
- Take direction from and work collaboratively with the overall Project Manager and Team Leads.
- Assist with planning and implementation of systems upgrades working on-site with the customer as a representative of the clients’ engineering team.
- Support ongoing product development and maintenance projects which include developing, debugging, and tuning improvements to the system.
- Maintain Active Directory Domain Services in a Windows Server 2012 R2 environment, upgrade domain controllers from Windows Server 2008 R2/2012 R2, and maintain Citrix Xen Desktop/App virtual images within the environment.
- Be the senior administrator for all related domain policies implemented through Group Policy Objects (GPO) to include user and computer security initiatives, access restrictions, and OS and application updates based on users, groups, and computers.
- Maintain and administer system monitoring solutions to include Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) and Operation Manger (SCOM).
- Support vulnerability mitigation and prevention for Windows server platforms using tools such as ACAS, HBSS, and STIG baseline configurations compliance IAW DISA requirements.
- Knowledge and experience administering systems in Microsoft Windows 2008 R2/2012 R2/2016 environments including clustering, group policies, advanced configuration, anti-virus and anti-malware software, email gateways, NetApp SAN storage, network routing, and PowerShell scripting.
- Knowledge and experience administering Microsoft software including MS Exchange Server, MS SQL Server; Active Directory, and LDAP technologies within a Windows environment.
- Hands-on experience with:
a. Group policy development and troubleshooting utilizing Microsoft Resultant Set of Policy (RSOP)
b. VMware ESX
c. Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop
d. MS System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM)
e. MS System Center Operations Manager (SCOM)
4. Familiarity with Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) STIGs baseline control and adherence.
5. Experience with implementing and administering MS Windows 2008/2012/2016 Directory Services Infrastructure, designing security for MS Windows 2008/2012/2016 Network, and designing and implementing MS Windows 2008/2012/2016 Network Infrastructure.
6. Advanced working knowledge of Active Directory DC design, Schema, OU design, AD replication topology, and DC backup/restore procedures, as well as DNS, GPO's, and message tracking and performance.
7. Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing with management and technical specialists.
8. Ability to plan, organize, and manage tasks on time with minimal supervision.
9. Strong working knowledge of trouble ticketing systems such as Remedy and SolarWinds.
10. A minimum of five years of demonstrated professional experience in an IT data center role at least two of which were in a senior systems administrator position.
11. Two+ years in support of a civilian federal government agency in a Top Secret environment.
12. Demonstrated understanding of federal government agency policies and procedures for data center operations.
13. Must have strong customer support skills.
14. Must be able to communicate both orally and in writing at a management level.
15. Experience managing compliance with license agreements.
16. Experience controlling and monitoring user access to systems.
17. Experience monitoring and optimizing the performance of MS Windows-based systems.
18. Experience planning, executing, and maintaining backup and recovery of MS Windows-based systems.
19. Experience writing functional requirements and preparing functional designs.
- Current MCSE certification preferred but will consider other current certifications.
- ITIL certification preferred.
- Service support ticketing system certification, preferably SolarWinds.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least five years’ experience in Computer Science or related discipline preferred.
- An additional five years systems administrator or service desk support experience may be considered as a substitute for a bachelor’s degree.
- Must be able to obtain and hold a Top Secret Clearance with SCI access.
Apex is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at 844-463-6178
Windows Server 2008 R2
V Mware Esx Servers
System Center Operations Management
Windows Server 2008