To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
30 Taylor Street
Danbury, CT 06810
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Area General Manager
First Student • Danbury, CT
Posted 24 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
First Student is a leader in transportation of children K-12. As the largest provider of student transportation in North America, First Student is more than twice the size of the next largest competitor. Industry-leading safety programs, strong customer relationships and service record are the key differentiators.
At First Student, our Area General Managers are a constant reflection of our company’s commitment to safety and customer service. The Area General Manager is responsible for overall leadership and performance across an area of locations to include: revenue growth, expense management, EBIT, employee culture, customer partnerships, labor/contract negotiations and fleet management. This individual will manage a team of 900 people, 10+ locations and a fleet of over 700 buses throughout the Southwest Connecticut region.
Area General Manager Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership to the Location Managers and other employees in order to achieve goals for safety, revenue, cost optimized operations, maintenance and service.
- Represents First Student with school administrators for contract negotiations and represents First Student for all labor negotiations.
- P&L responsibility for the entire region.
- Tracks and addresses trends in KPIs. Leads and develops action plans with Location Manager addressing location performance gaps.
- Tracks and addresses local competitive threats to route share.
- Defines business terms in union and non-union wage negotiations. Negotiates customer contract terms.
- Drive Location Manager ownership of employee recruiting and retention.
- Maintains school decision maker relationships by establishing and growing trusted partnerships with school districts and the community.
- Ensures locations apply safety practices. Model and promote First Student’s commitment to Safety.
- Negotiates school contracts with sustainable value and competitive revenue per route.
- Maximizes contract revenue pricing and volumes.
- Provides accurate forecasts of performance to First Student management.
Area General Manager Experience and Skills Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Logistics, Supply Chain, or related discipline; will consider commensurate work experience.
- 5+ years’ experience with proven leadership abilities and transportation or logistic systems knowledge.
- 5+ years’ experience managing a P&L, ideally with customer service and safety elements.
- In depth understanding of the KPI’s (safety, financial, customers).
- Experience working with unionized employees and negotiating labor contracts.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel is desired.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated ability to build and continuously motivate highly effective teams.
- Strong presentation skills with interpersonal savvy in dealing with customers.
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills.
- Strong business background in financial, strategic, and organizational analysis.
- Competitive base salary and attractive annual bonus incentive
First Student’s commitment to putting our customers first, dedication to safety, and an ambition to deliver dependable transportation makes for a working environment you’ll love. As a huge company with 120,000 staff and over 2.5 billion customers worldwide, you’ll also enjoy security, a brilliant future, and excellent training.
Apply today to join our team!
First Student is an Equal Opportunity Employer.