Position Title: Software Engineer(Web)
Location: Cheshire CT (06410)
Term: 3-month (option to extend)
Pay Rate: Up to $48/hour (depending on experience)
The Software Engineer will develop software for the Linux-based Airgas Cloud Services platform. The role will focus on the UI/Web Site but the engineer should be confident with SQL for database interactions and familiar with routine Linux commands. The engineer will also be expected to interact with stakeholders to understand requirements and translate them into practical features or improvements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
● Develop new User Interface features for the Cloud Services Portal using HTML, CSS, JQuery, etc.
● Create or assist with the creation of manuals and documentation
● Create ad-hoc and scheduled reporting and analytics as requested by our administrators using SQL
● Design and implement new database structures using SQL
● Research and testing into new software or development techniques as needed including "proof of concepts"
● Eventually participate in an after-hours support rotation with the rest of the engineers
● Understand and document requirements, translate them into practical features.
● Any other projects as assigned by management
To perform this job successfully the individual will need to be comfortable developing software both independently or as part of a small group. The candidate will have an open mind and demonstrated willingness and ability to learn a new system and/or coding languages quickly. He or she should be willing to work after hours or weekends as needed to accommodate software releases. The candidate should have a passion for creating slick and responsive user interfaces for the web. Confidence with Linux systems is also essential.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
● A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or an equivalent field, Masters preferred
● 2+ years web development experience using HTML, CSS, JQuery, etc.
● Comfortable using JQuery and CSS Plugins or frameworks such as Bootstrap.
● Experience with Java Web development a plus.
● 2+ years experience developing software in a Linux environment.
● Participated in successful development and deployment of at least one database-driven application of moderate complexity in a professional setting. Ideally the project integrates a database back end, controller, and front-end UI.
● Minimal (1-10% of work time)
● Intermediate Java, preferably Java web(JSPs, Servlets, tomcat or glassfish)
● Comfortable with SQL, PostgreSQL a plus
● Basic knowledge of Linux, specific comfort with Fedora, Red-Hat, or OpenSuse Linux a plus
● Experience with Jira issue tracking software a plus
● Moderate to Advanced Experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
● Comfortable with Google Cloud-Based productivity software(Gmail, Google Drive, Docs, etc)
COMMUNICATION and/or CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS:
● Ability to effectively and clearly present information and respond to questions from employees and/or customers
● Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals using the English language
● Able to document code and create or assist with the creation of user manuals as needed.
● Able to understand customer needs and translate them into requirements and follow through with implementation.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
● None required
Java Script (Programming Language)
Hyper Text Markup Language (Html)
Java (Programming Language)
Cascading Style Sheets (Css)
Sql (Programming Language)