The purpose of this job is to establish and close new business relationships with companies that promote products and services within the renewable energy sector, focusing primarily on biodiesel, renewable diesel and renewable chemical opportunities. The position will research, qualify, contact, present and close new partners for REG based on creating value and driving new opportunities for REG and the prospective partner alike. Focus is on identifying, developing and presenting high value projects aligned with REG’s strategy.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & PERCENT OF TIME: Weight = 100%
Curate Deals & Opportunities (50%)
- An individual contributor driving significant revenue growth by using general business acumen to uncover prospect business needs and identify how REG solutions can help prospects achieve their business goals and advance strategic initiatives.
- Align deal making efforts with REG’s corporate strategy in order to progress the company’s initiatives forward.
- The ability to survey the business environment, procurement and sales opportunities, and shape deals that give REG a sustainable competitive advantage.
- Qualify prospects against company criteria for ideal customers and sales.
- Consult with prospect about business challenges and requirements, as well as the range of REG solutions options and cost benefits of each.
- Create and deliver compelling, customized presentations that address the core business issues and opportunities faced by the prospect.
- Summarize and interpret results and make recommendations to support business unit objectives.
- Cultivate strong relationships with internal and third party partners that may be required to deliver full solutions to customers.
- Effectively monitor day-to-day developments in the renewable energy market and build relationships with key marketing, merchandising, and media decision makers.
- Stay current on industry trends and personnel moves among prospect organizations.
- Negotiate and close contracts with outside parties.
- Be a positive representative of REG and its brand in the marketplace.
- Lead and guide financial analysis and modeling of strategic projects.
- Monitor external and internal environments for opportunities to expand the core business and strategic initiatives.
- Develop, participate in and monitor complex projects. Very detail oriented and results focused.
Develop Business Relationships (20%)
- Determine how relationship can benefit REG and develop projects to take those relationships to a final outcome that can be handed off to a department within REG to fulfill operationally.
- Develop positive relationships and be “well connected” within the renewable energy, related and ancillary market sectors.
- Demonstrate an ability to operate well in high stakes, social settings, creating positive outcomes for REG based on mutual trust and demonstration of REG’s values.
- Conduct all development activities with the highest degree of professionalism and integrity.
- Coordinate efforts between various business units to achieve REG strategic goals.
Maintain Cross-Organizational Relationships (10%)
- Work with key personnel within Manufacturing, Procurement, Quality, Sales, Supply Chain, Risk Management and other internal departments to align departmental efforts and priorities with overall company objectives.
- Cultivate a collaborative, creative, results-oriented work environment across departments.
- Work in partnership with department leaders to determine processes for working together.
Build and Maintain Strategic Alliances (10%)
- Lead investigations of potential partnerships, M&A options and other strategic alignments with external companies and individuals.
- Create and build relationships to build strategic alliances with other companies necessary for execution of REG’s strategy.
Effective Communication (10%)
- Lead analysis, project planning and reporting and be able to communicate potential business development opportunities to C-level management and other parties.
Preferred Education: Master’s Degree and/or a minimum of 5+ years of experience in Business Development, preferably within the agriculture, renewables, fuel, or chemical industries.
Preferred Experience: Fifteen years business experience with 2+ years executive business experience. Must have demonstrated track record prospecting and closing complex business deals. Additionally must have demonstrated experience with large, enterprise-wide projects and budgets exceeding ten million dollars. Fuel or chemical industry experience highly preferred. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated the bandwidth to run the business development department or another REG business venture. Primary focus is not M&A but experience in this realm is a positive.
REG is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status.