$2,000 Hiring Bonus for Qualified Bus Drivers who join our team! Don't miss out on the opportunity to steer your career in the right direction with RTD. We make a meaningful difference in people's lives every single day!
And...we've got perks:
- $19.98 - $25.31 per hour
- Paid training (CDL training provided)
- A full benefits package paid time-off, medical & dental, retirement pension and more.
- Special employee only discounts with various retailers and sports venues
- We provide free transportation on our system to both our employees and one of their family members
- $375 credit toward the purchase of driver uniform in first year
- Pre-tax Medical and Dependent care programs
- Credit Union Membership and other bank services
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Wellness Rehabilitation Program and Health Fairs
- Most of our facilities have gyms on-site
- Free annual flu shots
- Free bike check-out
- Stability and longevity with a growing, sustainable, and innovative company
- The chance to meet new people and make their travel experience memorable
- Work in a team environment
Both full and part time positions are available. Six (6) weeks of paid training is provided. Training will require full time hours availability.
Description of Work
Here's a look into what you'll be doing:
Duties & Responsibilities
This position involves all duties and responsibilities associated with transit vehicle operation. Duties include carrying out those functions pertaining to the safe, courteous, and efficient operation of assigned transit vehicles on routine and/or special service routes. You will be responsible for employing defensive driving techniques, maintaining professional courtesy while under stress, making public address announcements, properly answering questions and solving transit-related concerns of passengers, and exercising prudent judgment under a variety of constantly changing operating conditions.
This is a safety sensitive position subject to the rules and regulations of the RTD Drug and Alcohol Policy.
Here's a deeper look into the responsibilities:
- Conducting yourself in an appropriate manner as a representative of RTD, working effectively in a diverse environment, using prudent judgment at all times, performing all duties in a safe manner, and assuring professional quality of services to all external and internal customers.
- Operating transit bus in revenue and non-revenue service while in strict compliance with RTD policies, directives, and procedures and all Federal and Colorado traffic laws and regulations. This includes using proper defensive driving techniques.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of streets, current bus routes and stops within the District as well as RTD's current fare structure and bus pass programs.
- Maintaining current knowledge of and adherence to all RTD operating policies, directives, and procedures.
- Maintaining a current knowledge of and is in strict compliance with Federal and Colorado traffic laws and regulations as well as Department of Transportation (DOT) rules and regulations.
- Performing RTD pre-trip inspection of transit bus for mechanical problems prior to beginning scheduled run. This includes conducting an external/internal visual inspection of the transit bus and pre-testing all necessary equipment, operating/safety devices, and transit bus controls for use while in service. Also conducts an internal visual inspection at the end of revenue service to collect and turn-in lost items.
- Completing accident and incident reports accurately and legibly as necessary at the end of scheduled shifts.
- Completing farebox, passenger, and bus maintenance defect reports and maintenance repair orders as necessary upon completion of scheduled shifts.
- Providing customer service information in a courteous, professional manner. This includes operating the automated stop announcements system and/or stating stop and public information announcements over the public address system, and properly answering questions and solving transit-related concerns of passengers.
- Stocking the on-board bus schedule racks with appropriate bus schedules and RTD approved brochures, issues official information fliers and surveys as required.
- Operating farebox, inspects various bus passes, and distributes and collects bus transfer slips in a professional, courteous manner. Also records and maintains passenger counts as necessary.
- Complying with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) in operating the transit bus. This includes providing accessibility for disabled passengers to board and de-board by properly operating the accessibility lift and safely securing such passengers in a courteous manner, announcing designated stops, and pre-testing all passenger accessibility lifts and equipment during pre-trip inspections.
- Performing various physical duties to successfully complete job responsibilities. These can include, but are not limited to, boarding and de-boarding transit buses, operating the disabled passenger accessibility lift, properly securing disabled passengers, properly operating all transit bus controls and operating devices, and loading and unloading passenger baggage as required.
Here's what you'll need to get hired:
- Must be at least nineteen (19) years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Equivalency in relevant job experience will be considered.
- Not more than five (5) points assessed against motor vehicle record (MVR) in the past two (2) years and not more than ten (10) points on a seven year record as well as possessing a continually valid driver's license for the past two (2) years. Also no DUI, DWI, or reckless driving in the past 5 years.
- Ability to pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) physical examination by obtaining a DOT Medical Examiner's Certificate for a minimum of a 2-year qualifying period and then maintain a current DOT Medical Examiner's Certificate thereafter.
- Ability to pass a RTD required Physical Ability Assessment (PAA) related to the physical requirements of the essential functions of the job.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a current valid Colorado Commercial Driver's License with an air brake and passenger endorsement (Class B-P2).
- Ability to obtain and maintain a current clearance badge from Denver International Airport by passing the established security clearance and training process.
- Ability to successfully complete the Bus Operator Training Program, which includes achieving the required minimum scores on all written and driving tests and evaluations.
- Knowledge of and the ability to use standard defensive driving techniques.
Are you ready to make a difference while providing safe, reliable and convenient service to thousands of people across the metro area? If the answer is yes, submit your application today!
This position is within the bargaining unit under the RTD-ATU 1001 Collective Bargaining Agreement.
At RTD we believe happy employees make happy customers. That's why we offer a complete benefits package with a lot of extra perks.
- A competitive salary
- Paid in-house training programs
- Professional training/education allowances
- Growth potential
- Several medical, dental and vision plan coverage choices
- An excellent retirement savings plan
- A fitness/wellness center
- and so much more!
Benefits may be available on a pro-rated basis to some part-time positions.
For more information on Benefits, please click here.