Work where every moment matters.
Every day, almost 20,000 Hartford HealthCare employees come to work with one thing in common: Pride in what we do, knowing every moment matters here. We invite you to become part of Connecticut’s most comprehensive healthcare network.
Charlotte Hungerford Hospital is a 122-bed, general acute care community hospital located in Torrington, Connecticut, that serves as a regional health care resource for the 100,000 residents of Litchfield County and Northwest Connecticut. CHH offers personalized attention from an expert team of caregivers and physicians that utilize advanced technology and clinical partnerships in a convenient, safe and comfortable patient environment. POSITION SUMMARY/PURPOSE
Responsible for the planning and delivery of psychiatric services to patients admitted to the Behavioral Health Center. This position works in conjunction with the multidisciplinary treatment team. This position reports to the Director, Behavioral Health Center. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
1. Conducts intake interviews.
2. Assess psychological needs of patient and families, upon referral from nursing/medical personnel.
3. Intervenes in emotional crisis situations as they involve patient, families of patients, or nursing personnel.
4. Takes vital signs, weighs patients, and collects urine specimens as indicated by treatment plan established for certain patients.
5. Responds to medical emergencies utilizing CPR skills.
Knows the actions, dosage, range, purpose, side effects, and contraindications of commonly used psychiatric medications.
6. Administers long-acting demo medications when ordered by psychiatrist.
7. Conducts joint medication groups with psychiatrist.
8. Conducts health teaching with clients regarding such issues as AIDS, nutrition, and hygiene.
9. Demonstrates an understanding of psychopathology of psychiatric disorders and how to provide psychiatric treatment.
10. Functions as primary therapist conducting individual, group and/or family and/or couples’ therapy.
11. Displays and upholds CHH core values of dignity, compassion, service excellence, community and integrity. Consistently demonstrates caring for patients, for one another, and for the organization they are part of, and contributes to building trust, pride and camaraderie. JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL REQUIREMENTS, AND DESIRED ATTRIBUTES
1. Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality improvement program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
2. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, inservice meetings, and workshops.
3. Represents psychiatric services to referral sources, community agencies, court services, social service agencies, and others as required.
4. Attends conferences with nursing staff regarding patient’s psychological conditions and needs, helps identify appropriate behaviors on the part of nursing staff to meet those needs.
5. Performs all other related duties as assigned.
6. Requires a Connecticut licensed RN.
Bachelor’s degree in Nursing or related Mental Health field. CPR certification required. EXPERIENCE
1 year but less than 3 years of Psychiatric nursing experience.
We take great care of careers.
With locations around the state, Hartford HealthCare offers exciting opportunities for career development and growth. Here, you are part of an organization on the cutting edge – helping to bring new technologies, breakthrough treatments and community education to countless men, women and children. We know that a thriving organization starts with thriving employees-- we provide a competitive benefits program designed to ensure work/life balance. Every moment matters. And this is your moment.