Do you possess an entrepreneurial spirit and have a passion for technology? Do you enjoy breaking down barriers/silos and flexing your business acumen to get the job done? Then, this might be the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
The IT Business Relationship Manager (BRM) will partner with our Canadian and Independent business units to align business and technology strategies to deliver business value. Advance serves approximately 300 Carquest branded stores in Canada of which half are independently owned. In total, 1,238 stores are independently owned across the US and Canada. The IT BRM shares ownership for both business strategy and results. Therefore, a thorough understanding of each business unit and its processes is necessary to provide technology guidance to ensure maximum return on IT investment (ROI). The guidance for these business units should align with the overall corporate technology strategy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Strategic Partnering & Strategy
Coach business leaders and enable them to articulate their function’s (i.e. technology, people, etc.) needs and requirements that will advance business performance.
Partner with enterprise architecture to develop and maintain multi-year business capability roadmaps including the use of new technology.
Partner with business transformation teams (change management) to ensure effective business transformation for all initiatives.
Partner with the IT project/program/portfolio management organization (IT PMO) to ensure a healthy and well-managed initiative portfolio.
Partner with business leadership to plan new joint initiatives, evaluate proposals, and determine how they fit into business capability roadmaps and priorities.
Think strategically by identifying business function opportunities and the best-suited position for the function’s adoption within the business partner organization. Measure adoption and work with business leadership to develop future roadmap and opportunities.
Identify and integrate business partners’ long-range plans into business capability roadmaps and priorities, as appropriate. Brief stakeholders on business partner plans.
Focus on business value rather than solutions to develop ideas, including digital awareness, risk assessments, business continuity, and business capability requirements.
Build and manage the relationship team to ensure convergence and strategic partnering with the business partner team.
Advocate for an awareness and focus on business partner strategic plans.
Correlate business value and priorities to planning activities and goal-setting.
Ensure that project/program managers of business partner projects are knowledgeable about the business partner and their objectives; engage as a project/program stakeholder, including evaluating project efforts and progress against joint strategic plans and objectives.
Be creative and innovative with regards to your knowledge and awareness of industry trends and digital advances as they relate to new opportunities and business needs.
Evaluate joint initiatives as they relate to corporate strategy to ensure convergence and opportunities for measurable success.
Own the functional operating and project/program budget, perform accurate budgeting and forecasting across operations and projects or programs.
Partnership & Relationship Management
Lead as the strategic interface between the BRM’s function and business partner to stimulate, surface, and shape business demand and ensure that the potential business value from those assets and capabilities is captured, realized, optimized, and recognized.
Establish and earn value-adding, strategic partner relationship maturity for yourself in the role of a BRM and for the entire function.
Develop a deep knowledge of the business partner’s business unit and build positive relationship development, both horizontally and vertically.
Ensure business value realization and optimization, from value plans through consultancy, business case development, financial awareness, managing expectations, and identifying opportunities to add value.
Ensure project and initiative progress, including consistent and effective communication. This includes managing escalation and avoiding risk.
Educate business partners about processes, roles, and capabilities.
Establish communication processes and channels across business functions.
Measure and communicate business value realized with the business partner on a periodic basis.
Shape Business Demand into supply by partnering with appropriate resources to facilitate the creation of idea documents, business cases, and value plans.
Develop build versus buy decision criteria, selecting, deploying, managing and enhancing on premise, cloud, and SaaS IT solutions. Ability to follow through with successful IT delivery within budget and time commitments.
Define and manage Service Level Agreements (SLAs) with business leaders, staff and support partners / vendors.
Manage staff in accordance with organization’s policies and applicable legislation. Responsibilities include planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance and guiding professional development; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing employee relations issues and resolving problems.
- 40% travel required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated ability to listen, build rapport, and credibility as a strategic partner vertically within the business unit, as well as with leadership and functional teams.
- Ability to lead effectively in a large, matrix environment.
- Demonstrated capability to execute through communication and influence in addition to having direct leadership/oversight. Be able to influence others, using personal rather than positional power.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a distributed IT workforce which includes contractors, support partners / vendors, and onshore / offshore / remote workers with at least 4 FTEs under their reporting structure.
- Through effective communications skills, ability to present ideas and information clearly and persuasively and adjust to fit a wide range of audiences.
- Strong business acumen and broad working knowledge of relevant business functions and processes.
- Consulting skills, including the ability to draw on the ideas of key business team members / peers and convert them into meaningful strategies and plans.
- Ability to influence and break down silos within an organization as well across organizations
- Energy, focus, assertiveness, and diplomacy. Knowing when to push an agenda and when to let a situation develop, rest, or advance.
- Ability to set expectations with business partners and effectively leverage governance for a positive business partner experience.
- Ability to focus on business value results, rather than solutions.
- Technical aptitude, requirements management, and the ability to assess and articulate risk variables
- Must maintain credibility with the business community.
- Solid understanding of IT capabilities.
- Be able to identify gaps and areas that need improvement.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Business or similar field of study; and 8 years of progressive experience in Systems Development; or Equivalent combination education and experience
This position will directly supervise one to three Team Members and potentially Contractors
Service Level Agreement