To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Morristown, NJ 07960
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Email Send Failed!
Reliability Engineer (EfW plant maintenance)
Covanta • Morristown, NJ
Posted 7 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
About Covanta: Covanta is a world leader in providing sustainable waste and energy solutions. Annually, Covanta’s modern Energy-from-Waste facilities safely convert approximately 20 million tons of waste from municipalities and businesses into clean, renewable electricity to power one million homes and recycle approximately 500,000 tons of metal. Through a vast network of treatment and recycling facilities, Covanta also provides comprehensive industrial material management services to companies seeking solutions to some of today’s most complex environmental challenges. For more information, visit www.covanta.com .
The Reliability Engineer (RE), working under direction of the Maintenance Director, will have the responsibility of identifying, managing and solving asset reliability risks that adversely affect facility or business safe, compliant and efficient operations. A key role of the reliability engineer is to support maintenance technology group efforts in implementing and sustaining ‘Reliability Centered Maintenance’ as an asset management tool and philosophy.
The RE identifies and manages asset reliability risks that could adversely affect facility or business operations. The RE’s broad primary role and responsibilities include but is not limited to loss elimination, risk management and life cycle asset management.
One of the fundamental roles of the RE is to track the operational losses and abnormally high maintenance cost assets, then find ways to reduce those losses or high costs. These losses are prioritized to focus efforts on the largest/most critical opportunities. The reliability engineer in full partnership with the facilities O&M teams, develops a plan to eliminate or reduce the losses through the Root Cause Analysis process (RCA), obtains approval of the plan and facilitates the implementation of required action items.
Another role of the reliability engineer is to manage risk to the achievement of Covanta’s strategic objectives in the areas of environmental compliance, health and safety, asset availability, capability, quality and production (tons of municipal solid waste throughput and production of electrical power and steam). Some tools used by the RE to identify and reduce risk include:
- Preliminary hazards analysis
- Failure modes and effects analysis
- Criticality analysis
- Simplified failure modes and effects analysis
- Maintainability information
- Fault and Event tree analysis
Life Cycle Asset Management
Studies show that as much as 95 percent of the total cost of ownership (TCO) or life cycle cost (LCC) of an asset is determined by the ‘frozen’ final design and engineering scope before it is put into use. As such, the Reliability Maintenance group and engineers could be involved with new asset projects, equipment selections, installations, modifications and possible complete new Facility constructions.
The RE is actively involved with the design, execution, analysis and improvement of credible reliability (RCM) based maintenance management programs at all Covanta facilities. Ultimately the goal is to attain and sustain Industry leading -and beyond- world-class standards in Asset Management
Responsibilities and Duties
Main responsibilities and duties Reliability Engineer:
- The RE will actively lead and participate in implementing and sustaining RCM programs at Covanta facilities as assigned
- Provides technical support to Operations, Maintenance Management and Technical Personnel
- Advise facility personnel in technical related application issues such as Tribology/Lubrication, Vibration Analysis, Thermography-/IR scans, Acoustics and other CBM technologies utilized
- Be cognizant of new or developing technologies that can be applied to Covanta where advantageous and cost effective
- Applies continuous improvement philosophy in eliminating wasteful methods, improve cost effectiveness of maintenance tasks (L&M), increase throughputs, identify energy savings opportunities and identify safety exposures or hazards
- Identifying asset reliability risks via enhanced RCA program and reliability based maintenance KPI and statistical analysis. Managing the risk elimination or reduction will include RCA action item completion, PM program audits and statistical analysis of maintenance and operations data. Actively works with facilities in addressing reliability issues using RCA) methods and process structure
- Provide maintenance effectiveness audits, guidance and technical recommendation for reliability programs at facilities based on statistical performance analysis.
- Assist in maintenance related report development of indicative KPIs and best method of communicating their implications, lessons learned, performance and areas for improvement.
- Work assigned reliability projects as required
- When requested participates in the development of design and installation specifications along with commissioning plans. Participates in the development of criteria for and evaluation of equipment and technical MRO suppliers and technical maintenance service providers. Develops acceptance tests and inspection criteria.
- Participates when requested in the final check-out of new installations. This includes factory and site acceptance testing that will assure adherence to functional specifications.
- Guides efforts to ensure reliability and maintainability of equipment, processes, utilities, facilities, controls and safety/security systems
- Applies value analysis to repair/replace, repair/redesign and make/buy decisions
- Professionally and systematically defines, designs, develops, monitors and refines an asset RCM based maintenance plan that includes:
- Value-added maintenance tasks
- Effective utilization of predictive and other non-destructive testing methodologies designed to identify and isolate inherent reliability problems
- Provides input to a risk management plan that will anticipate reliability-related and non-reliability-related risks that could adversely impact plant operations.
- Develops engineering solutions to repetitive failures and all other problems that adversely affect plant operations. These problems include power generation- and steam capacity, cost or regulatory compliance issues, Root cause analysis (RCA) etc.
- Required frequent facility visits in pursuit of assignments. No limitations to working in industrial environments
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Mechanical, Electrical or related field of study.
- Preferred certification in industrial standard reliability expertise. Example: CMRP, CRL, or other
- Preferred experience in design software such as CAD or ‘Solidworks’
- 10 Years applicable work experience in industrial facility or plant with progressive engineering or maintenance management responsibilities
- 5 Years minimum work experience in ‘reliability centered maintenance’ application, management, engineering and or program management
- Comprehensive industrial facility type maintenance experience including all aspects of large power train components, hydraulics, pneumatics, E&I infrastructure system & components, process controls, (PLC) logic, steam and power generation etc.
- Preferred experience with Chemical-, Utility-, Energy From Waste (EfW)-, ‘Heavy Industrial’ manufacturing plants or equal as a maintenance engineer or manager
- Experience in and working knowledge of Statistical Data Analysis and Process Control (SPC) as required for maintenance and equipment performance assessments. Working knowhow of ‘Minitab’ software is preferred
- Data analysis techniques that can include:
- Statistical process control
- Reliability modeling and prediction
- Fault tree analysis
- Weibull analysis
- Six Sigma (6σ) methodology
- Educated or trained in and experience with:
- Detail work/ job planning and work hazard analysis
- Failure mode analysis and failure analysis techniques
- Risk or criticality analysis for equipment or process
- Standard fault/ event tree construction and analysis
- Machinery vibration analysis methods, thermography, condition assessment via instrumentation and field experience performing each or other NDT methods
- Demonstrated root cause analysis experience in industry standard method: Kepner-Tregoe, 5 Whys, Fishbone diagram, other
- Demonstrated experience in industry standard comprehensive reliability programs such as RCM or other. Experience with TPM, RAM, SMED is an advantage
- Strong facility process understanding via P&IDs, drawings and specifications.
- Safe working leadership.
- Strong report writing skills and ability to commutate orally and in written format.
- Motivated, self-starter and initiative taker requiring min. oversight
- Industry standard reliability professional certification preferred
- Practical field experience involving equipment installation, maintenance, overhaul and operation.
- High proficiency in MS Office, especially with Excel (spreadsheets, modeling, and pivot tables), Outlook, and Access. Working knowledge of maintenance management (CMMS) or asset management enterprise systems
- Experienced and skilled in using MS Project software
- Ability to communicate effectively and easily with management/ employees at different levels of the organization in office or remotely
- Preferred work location is to be in Morristown, NJ corporate office
- Operating facility environment with OSHA required PPE, safety training for areas of steam boiler and turbine – generator operation. Access to all areas of facility required as well as to confined spaces and respirator required areas such as boiler internals
- Job requires physical demands consistent with work in industrial environments
- Travel to facilities is required (must possess a valid driver’s license)
- Typ. 40-60% Travel and facility based work/ support pending priorities or as directed
- Balance Office