Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont ([ Link removed ] ) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont's core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont's industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
The role will be accountable for establishing and supporting the technical aspects of an operations support hub, including infrastructure, systems, dashboards, and change management. The position will be based in Denver but will include significant travel as part of the deployment and study across all sites and regions. The incumbent will work with the Study Manager – Process Control Strategy and provide input to the value framework and tools identified in the prefeasibility study.
About this role
This role is to carry out the project work to deploy and support a suite of tools that monitor the effectiveness of the fixed plant control systems across Newmont Goldcorp sites. The incumbent will be tasked with defining and testing templates for the tool suite and for implementing the existing Boddington tools to be applied to sites in North and South America. The incumbent will also carry out surveillance and engineering functions to improve the effectiveness of fixed plant automation systems at those sites. The incumbent may also be called upon to execute improvement work at any of the sites in North or South America. The work completed by the incumbent is to be documented and repeatable to ultimately be deployed across the Western Hemisphere (consisting of the North and South American regions). The incumbent will be responsible for creating an appropriate change management process in collaboration with the Process Control Manager, and for following the process to get site approval and design and implement engineering improvements in collaboration with site personnel.
Your role will consist of
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regard to safety, environmental and Social Responsibility practices.
- Configure and deploy an update to the control loop monitoring software for the fixed plant control system at NA and SA process plants, including capture of this data in the plant historian and creation of a dashboard to present the health of the control loops.
- Configure and deploy an update to the alarm monitoring software for the fixed plant control system at NA and SA process plants, including capture of aggregated alarm count data in the plant historian and creation of a dashboard to present the alarm performance.
- Create training packages and carry out training for site personnel on the operation and management of all of the process control monitoring tools that constitute the standard process control platform.
- Purchase and configure the required network infrastructure to support the remote operations support hub and enable remote engineering support.
- Define standards for data hierarchy and equipment templates to be deployed globally across all fixed plant data historian systems.
- Work collaboratively with Regional Business Units, Projects, IT and other corporate functions, as required.
- Carry out surveillance of the fixed plant automation systems using the tools and dashboards established for the process control platform.
- Identify opportunities to improve processing efficiencies by improving the performance of the fixed plant automation systems.
- Research and design improvements to the fixed plant automation systems.
- Follow the appropriate change management process to gain site buy-in and approval for the improvements to the fixed plant automation systems.
- Execute, and document improvements to the fixed plant automation systems in collaboration with site personnel.
- Act as a mentor and teacher for site process control resources for all sites in the NA and SA regions.
- Provide technical input and guidance for all process control related projects.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your Training, skills, and experience checklist
- Extensive process control background, with a Bachelors or higher degree level qualification in Process Control Engineering or Control Systems Engineering.
- Experience as technical mining professional, including 8+ years’ experience in gold processing across multiple locations.
- High level understanding of the following elements:
- Rockwell Automation (RSLogix, Control Logix and Compact Logix PLC's)
- Modicorn Schneider Automation (Unity and Concept, Quantum and M540/580 PLC's)
- HMI SCADA (FactoryTalk, Wonderware and Citect)
- Emerson DeltaV and Yokogawa CENTUM VP DCS (preferred but not essential)
- OSIsoft PI Data Historian
- PlantESP Control Loop Monitoring Software
- Metso OCS-4D Advanced Control Platform
- Managed Switches, including VLAN configuration
- Demonstrated ability to review and analyse data with a focus on process optimisation.
- Computer literate (Word, Excel and site data bases).
- Strong communication, presentation and negotiation skills – demonstrated ability to do this on all Management levels.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and work within ambiguity and ability to build strong working relationships.
- Effective people management, relationship building, problem solving, coaching and developing skills.
- This role is based in the Denver technical services facility, with targeted site visits as required (domestic and international may be required).
The salary range offered for this role is $98,400 to 129,150. The salary range is tied to the Colorado market for jobs performed in Colorado. The salary offer to the successful candidate will be based on job-related education, training, and/or experience. The salary offer will not be based on a candidate’s salary history at other jobs, and by law, Newmont will not seek information about salary history, and candidates should not share such information with Newmont.
This role will be eligible for participation in a discretionary annual bonus program, pursuant to which an employee may be awarded a percentage of their salary based on the company’s performance and their own individual performance.
Newmont offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package to support physical, mental, financial and emotional wellbeing. This role will be eligible for the following benefits: Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; health savings accounts; life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; short and long-term disability; 401(k) program with company match; pension; financial planning; employee assistance program (EAP); adoption assistance; dependent scholarship program; tuition reimbursement; paid holidays and paid time off; paid family leave; matching gifts; and discounts on home, auto and pet insurance. All bonuses and benefits are subject to the applicable eligibility and program/plan terms and may be modified or terminated at Newmont’s sole discretion.
- Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (Scada)
- Human Computer Interaction
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Distributed Control Systems