To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- West Chester Township, OH 45069
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Transportation Procurement Specialist
AK Steel • West Chester Township, OH
Posted 24 days ago
Manages all procurement functions for respective locations, appraising, and improving AK Steel’s sourcing activities. Develops strong routing guides and establishing strong carrier relationships, while developing options to improve performance and reduce cost.
- Develop strong routing guides by lane/region to ensure capacity commitments and capability for fluctuating volumes.
- Negotiate and secure carriers to move freight in a timely and cost-effective manner, while cultivating strong core carrier relationships.
- Works with Procurement Analyst to assist with data generation for analytical and administrative functions in planning, executing, reviewing, and evaluating procurement needs, processes, and procedures.
- Participates in strategy planning for sensitive and/or complex procurement transactions and procurement programs, which require innovative methods of procurement.
- Ensures lane rates are competitive, inclusive of equivalent rates for point to point within similar regional zones.
- Ensures rates are competitive across all carriers within lane networks, ensuring no extreme rates within any given lane.
- Works with 3PL on contract status to ensure timely turnaround and accuracy on new and updated carrier agreements.
- Works closely with peers and Procurement Analyst to determine synergy opportunities when negotiating freight.
- Assist in development and execution of RFQ (Request for Quote), evaluating along with Procurement Analyst, multiple award scenarios, identifying which lanes and carriers represent the greatest opportunity for cost and service improvements.
- Source/Buy capacity as needed to meet special EOM (End of Month) and/or production surges.
- Work with Carrier Management Specialist to determine root cause of carrier performance issues and develop action items to manage, improve performance, or find new capacity.
- Work closely with AK Carrier Management, Procurement Analyst, as well as Ryder Engineering ensuring capacity, service, and cost objectives by lane are exceeded.
- Ensure that all activities/functions are related to cost and performance.
- Provide timely updates to manager on daily basis and communicate progress on activities.
- Maintain productive working relationships with Customer Service, Planning, Mill Operations and Outside Processing to identify areas of improvement, developing, implementing and executing the right solution.
- Other duties as required by business needs or as assigned.
Job Knowledge and Experience:
- Proven work experience in transportation sourcing/procurement including DOT and safety regulations; Flatbed/Steel Industry a plus.
- Four year bachelor degree in supply chain management/logistics preferred or equivalent transportation and/or logistics experience.
- Ability to negotiate and sustain networking relationships with carriers.
- Comfortable with figures and in collecting, analyzing and interpreting data.
- Solid judgment with ability to make good decisions.
- Ability to identify opportunities, improve processes, drive execution and manage change.
- Ability to multi-task and understand how to prioritize workload in order of importance.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills and builds relationships with both internal customers and service providers.
- PC proficient (Microsoft Office preferred); Understanding of TMS (Transportation Management System) experience a plus.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Excellent compensation and benefits.
- Challenging work.
- Advancement opportunities.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, military or protected veteran status. The following links provide information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity rights and protections: EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment testing as a condition of employment.