Edgewell Personal Care is a leading manufacturer and worldwide distributor of over 25 well-known brands of consumer and personal care products. We are 6000 colleagues strong with a presence in over 50 countries.
Edgewell's brands include shaving products including Schick and Wilkinson Sword razors and blades, shaving gels including Edge and Skintimate, Banana Boat and Hawaiian Tropic sun screens, Playtex Infant Care products, including spill-proof cups, baby bottle liners, pacifiers, and Diaper Genie; Feminine Care products, including Playtex and o.b. tampons, and Stay free and Care free pads and liners, (all manufactured in Dover, DE), and Wet Ones wipes.
Our latest additions to the Edgewell family of personal care brands include two full product lines of skin care and grooming products for men: Bull Dog and Jack Black.
The PLC Control Systems- Senior Electrical Engineer role supports business needs as outlined by the Sr. Technical Manager and the Staff Electrical Engineer.
You will work under the direction of the Staff Electrical Engineer to develop and research plans related to projects and project teams.
Front line support of manufacturing operations is also expected.
The essential accountability of this position is to design and execute projects in support of business needs and objectives.
This colleague is accountable for:
- Lead one or more projects of greater level of complexity and scientific challenge.
- Guide and/or coordinate tasks of Engineers, Technicians, Interns, or Temporary personnel.
- Design and execution of electrical projects consistent with sound, robust scientific investigations that meet internal standards.
- Provide technical input to optimize the manufacturing quality and efficiency of all Dover Feminine Care production operations.
- This includes:
- Introducing the latest, most efficient, most effective technology wherever economically feasible.
- Assisting with solving production technical problems on an immediate turnaround basis when needed.
- Streamlining the existing machinery and processes to improve quality and reduce cost wherever possible.
- Develop specifications for equipment/line modifications/and or additions.
- Develop project resource requirements - time, funding, and manpower. Prepare and submit requests for project funding.
- Track project spending against established budgets.
- Modify or create PLC programs to meet changing process/production needs.
- Provide training to electronic technicians on all new systems/controls.
- Presentation of all information gathered in a manner that is coherent and accurately reflects the results obtained in the project investigation.
- In-depth functional understanding of technical tools that support project development and execution (automated data collection systems, statistical software, Microsoft Office, etc.).
- Maintains and expands “knowledge base” required within the area of work.
- Demonstrated actions to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work in teams and multitask; a solution orientated professional.
- Participates in cross functional and project teams by providing technical understanding of core area of expertise.
- Conducting all activities consistent with company and departmental policies and procedures.
- Additional duties may also be performed as assigned
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
- BS Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or Engineering Technology (BSEE or BSEET)
- Minimum of 5 years manufacturing experience, preferably in a high speed, cGMP environment.
- Other Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Prior experience with major equipment upgrades (controls/drivew/vision system/SCADA/Networking) implementations and validation execution.
- Demonstrated ability to implement electrical controls systems in a manufacturing environment.
- Practical programming skills in PLC's, networking, device communications, and discrete components.
- Good communications skills – must be able to develop specifications, proposals, RFP’s and presentations and communicate effectively within the organization, both laterally and vertically.
- Working knowledge of “AutoCAD” or equivalent CAD system, MS Project, and MS Office.
- Demonstrated ability to write and modify PLC programs and provide guidance to shop floor technicians in implementing changes.
- Practical, but creative engineering approach with at least 8 years of experience in electrical engineering roles within a manufacturing process.
- Results oriented individual unafraid of utilizing a hands-on approach when needed, with the ability to lead sub-groups, task forces or teams to effectively solve machinery problems ranging from simple (slight modification/addition of single component) to complex (total re-design) on high speed, high volume machinery.
- Demonstrated ability to work with cross functional teams as either a contributor or a leader.
- Ability to analyze, design, plan and manage equipment installations.
- Ability to function as a collaborating team member in a business environment representing area of discipline on cross-functional teams.
- Ability to take initiative, think and work independently, problem-solve, work in teams
- A solution orientated professional with the ability to execute multiple tasks required to meet project objectives
- Skill to maintain an up-to-date, current scientific knowledge base of most recent developments in area assigned.
- Communicates effectively intra and interdepartmentally to meet project objectives.
- Capable of coordinating work activities of technicians and temporary workers.
- Good documentation practices of any records and data
Desirable Education, Skills and Experience:
- An MS and/or highly qualified BS individuals may be considered
- Experience with upgrading older control systems and servo systems to Allen Bradley ControlLogix PLCs with Kinetix servos
- Experience with Vision Systems and SCADA Systems, i.e. Wonderware/networking, and with Robotics - all '+'s' .
- Inquisitive personality and willingness to work outside of their comfort zone
- Proven ability to manage a project from start to finish
- Experience with Root Cause Analysis techniques and Problem Solving techniques
- Sensors and Data Acquisition systems
- Computer programming and macro writing skills
- Experience in a corporate environment
- Experience with mentoring less experienced employees or students in a technical area
- Reports to the Senior Technical Manager
- Key relationships internally may include:
- Professional and technical staff in the Department.
- Product Development and Innovation Teams.
- All RD&E, Marketing, Program Management, Legal Staff
- Quality Assurance and Manufacturing
- Key External relationships will include:
- Up to 10% travel may be required, as needed for projects or training.
- The position will be stationed in an office environment, however, it is expected that time will be spent on the manufacturing floor.
- There may be some exposure to conditions that require specialized training and the use of Personal Protective Equipment.
Edgewell is an equal opportunity employer, and we prohibit discrimination based on age, color, disability, marital or parental status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.