Position Open: May 6, 2021
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through website at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Senior Fire Protection Engineer PE.
When you come to work for Clark Nexsen, you’ll experience a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment where big thinking is encouraged. We are a national, integrated architecture and engineering firm, but we believe that our role in making the world better isn’t limited to design. Our vision and values drive our culture, our work, and our commitment to giving back to our communities through volunteerism and charitable giving.
With 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas, our people shape the future by discovering opportunities to transform the way we live in and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performing projects for U.S. and global clients.
We offer generous compensation and benefits, including health, dental, vision, 401k, short and long term disability, paid time off, Aflac, flexible benefits, and legal resources. To learn more about our culture and expertise, please visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Senior Fire Protection Engineer PE.
We seek to hire a Senior Fire Protection Engineer in our Virginia Beach, VA, Vienna, VA or Raleigh, NC offices who will be responsible for performing, directing and supervising all aspects of fire protection engineering services on multi-discipline building design projects of small to large scope for commercial and government facilities, as well as single discipline fire protection engineering projects of small to large scope.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing all aspects of fire protection design as a Senior Fire Protection Engineer, including conceptual studies, programming, schematic documents, design development documents, and construction documents
- Concurrently leading several projects of moderate complexity and scope when required by schedule and/or resource constraints
- Meeting with clients to prepare and/or validate proposed scope of services
- Managing the fire protection portion of multi-discipline projects and working with assigned Project Managers to meet project budget, schedule, goals, and objectives
- Coordinating, supervising, and communicating all aspects of the fire protection design within multi-discipline teams to ensure that design details integrate properly with all other disciplines
- Communication with the Contractor on Design-Build projects to verify suitability of systems selected
- Directing and supervising the work of support staff assigned to the project,
- Managing and supervising fire protection support services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments and opening and tabulating bids
- Managing and supervising fire protection support services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings
- Ensuring staff compliance with quality control policies and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from the Department Director, Managing Principals, Project Managers, Design Managers, Operations Directors and senior management.
- Assist in presenting projects to clients, contractors, project team members, AHJ’s, and members of the public through all stages of the project
- Actively support Company marketing and business development activities
- Establish and maintain positive client relationships
- Provide technical guidance to fire protection staff
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of fire protection staff
- Assisting Department Director in developing new and/or revised processes and procedures
- Representing the Department Director (DD) when the DD is unavailable
- Leading staff training sessions
- Providing input to Department Director on staff annual performance reviews
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing Project Manager duties as assigned
- Serve in the role of Design Manager on projects as assigned
- Responsible for discipline design and documentation of fire protection systems
- Responsible for discipline coordination of plans and specifications
- Develop discipline design approach and methodology
- Develop discipline project plan and production methodology
- Preparing accurate, complete, and code-compliant drawings and specifications for schematic, design development, and construction document submittals.
- Reviewing calculations and all work products produced by Engineers, EIT’s, and designers assigned to the project
- Reviewing all drawings produced by design staff assigned to the project
- Preparing scope and fee proposals for the fire protection portion of multi-discipline projects or single-discipline, fire protection-only projects
- Assist MP and PM in development of project proposals, budgets & schedules
- Review and approve discipline code analysis
- Review and approve discipline specifications
- Respond to RFI’s, Dr Check comments, etc.
- Lead discipline bidding and construction administration activities
- Perform discipline QA/QC reviews on assigned projects
- Back-check discipline QC/gray team comments
- Monitor and adhere to project budget & schedule
- Bachelor of Science in Fire Protection Engineering from an ABET accredited university or a post-graduate degree in Fire Protection Engineering is preferred
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must be a fully licensed Fire Protection Engineer in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction, by passing the written Fire Protection engineering examination
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices with LEED AP accreditation desired
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever-increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process
- Active participation in NSPE, ASCE or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Senior Fire Protection Engineer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to understand the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with the support staff in their use of the software is highly desirable.
A Senior Fire Protection Engineer should typically have 10 years or more of significant design and practice experience in a leadership role with an Engineering firm, contractor, government agency, or a multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm with substantial knowledge of applicable fire protection and life safety codes and standards.
Experience as a lead designer or Fire Protection Engineer in federal, state, municipal, healthcare, commercial, higher education or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
- Possess technical precision and creative design skills
- Ability to make effective presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
- Possess demonstrated ability to lead by example, teaching, and mentoring younger staff and working well with others in a team environment
- Product Quality Assurance
- Submittals (Construction)