The Industrial Refrigeration Technician under general supervision, works independently, performs advanced refrigeration maintenance and repair throughout the warehouse. Other areas of knowledge including electrical, refrigeration, ammonia, plumbing, fire protection systems, MHE, and carpentry. May direct the work of contractors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Complete understanding of an ammonia refrigeration system which includes screw compressors, condenser, intercooler, receivers, accumulators, ammonia pumps, transfer vessels, valve clusters, oil scrubbers, pressure relief valves, and HMI control panels.
- Development of PSM (Process Safety Management) Program which includes the following:
- Normal Start Up
- Normal Shutdown
- Shut down and Isolation of areas for mechanical duties
- Emergency shut down and isolation for mechanical duties
- Startup following emergency shut down and isolation for mechanical duties
- Knowledge and use of appropriate PPE
- Use of Lock out Tag Out Procedures
- Identification and remediation of ammonia leaks
- Development of Risk Management Plan
- Compliance with rules and regulations from regulatory agencies including Homeland Security and EPA
- Development, documentation, and implementation of a EAP (Emergency Action Plan) as required by OSHA for the accidental release of Ammonia
- Manages facility infrastructure and grounds, and makes recommendations to management regarding necessary upgrades/repairs
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change as needed at any time with or without notice.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- 1-2 years’ experience in Ammonia Refrigeration
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS
- Certified Refrigeration Technician by IIAR (International Institute of Ammonia Refrigeration) , RETA (Refrigeration Engineers and Technicians Association) or equivalent
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Trouble shooting and Problem solving skills in all aspects of refrigeration
- Ability to use and operate an Ammonia Refrigeration system
- Experienced in Ammonia Leak detection and remediation
- Ability to develop Energy Management Strategies to optimize cost effectiveness without sacrificing safety or integrity of the system
- Experienced in RMP and PSM regulatory compliance
- Ability to calculate refrigeration loads for refrigeration needs.
- Must be able to lift and handle 50+ lbs.
Must be willing to work overtime as needed to include evenings and weekends
- Energy Management
- Human Computer Interaction
- Infrastructure Management