Adient (NYSE:ADNT) is a global leader in automotive seating. With 85,000 employees operating in 238 manufacturing/assembly plants in 34 countries worldwide, we produce and deliver automotive seating for all vehicle classes and all major OEMs. From complete seating systems to individual components, our expertise spans every step of the automotive seat-making process. Our integrated, in-house skills allow us to take our products from research and design all the way to engineering and manufacturing – and into more than 25 million cars every year. To learn more, please visit www.adient.com
Subject matter expert on core manufacturing processes. Develop process standards for JIT seating and support program teams in understanding and applying these best practices. The SMME manufacturing engineer will use experience and design for assembly principles to drive new designs and best practices that optimize safety, quality and efficiency.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain Design for Assembly and Manufacturing (DFAM) best practices by reviewing existing designs and comparing safety, quality, efficiency and cost to determine best methods.
- Develop and maintain JIT Manufacturing Process and Equipment Standards to support DFAM best practice designs.
- Coach and mentor AMEs and plant engineering teams in the application and execution of manufacturing standards and deliverables.
- Support DFAM workshops and issue resolution w/ AME for products in development.
- Review lessons learned from closed PPSCs and drive into standards to eliminate repeat occurrence on future products.
- Develop and maintain core PFMEA templates to capture lessons learned and standardize how common characteristics are controlled in the JIT plants
- Support pilot plant emphasis builds providing technical expertise in DFAM
- Use DFAM and manufacturing knowledge to support department initiatives for PPSC reduction, PFMEA template development, product assessments, and technical problem solving support.
- Support reviews of phase 0, innovation team projects for manufacturing feasibility
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Industrial or Mechanical preferred)
- Minimum 5 years of industry experience – automotive interiors experience preferred
- Experience with seating products desired
- PFMEA development
- MODapts or equivalent training/certification
- Strong computer skills with ability to quickly learn new software/applications
- Ability to draw two dimensional layouts in CAD software
- Analytical problem solving
- Ergonomic/safety analysis
- Design for assembly and manufacturing principles
- Project management - plan development and execution
- Ability to effectively influence and work in cooperation with a cross functional team
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills - ability to work in a matrix organization and effectively lead without direct positional authority is required.
- Strong communication, presentation and teamwork skills including the ability to write clear, concise technical documentation.
- Ability to travel (Globally) to support projects and benchmarking
- Thinks Analytically - The ability to break down problems and gain understanding to make effective decisions.
- Drives for Results - The passion to set and meet high standards of performance
- Influences Others - The ability to persuade others to support your agenda / objectives
- Drives Accountability - The ability to establish clear, measurable goals and deliver on commitments
The job description outlined above is not intended to be a detailed list of job functions or responsibilities. It outlines the essential functions of the job. An individual may be required to perform other duties form time to time. The company reserves the right to amend, change or delete the contents of this description
Central Tech Unit Plymouth MI
Just In Time
Complex Problem Solving