About Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
Shirley Ryan AbilityLab is the global leader in physical medicine and rehabilitation for adults and children with the most severe, complex conditions. By joining our team, you will be part of our life-changing Mission and Vision. You’ll work in a truly inclusive environment where diversity and equity are championed through words and actions. You’ll contribute to an innovative culture that is second to none, one that embraces curiosity, discovery and compassion. You’ll play a role in something that’s never been done before as we integrate science and clinical care to help patients achieve better, faster outcomes — as we Advance Human Ability, together.
Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel is responsible for providing legal advice to Shirley Ryan AbilityLab (“SRAlab”) staff on hospital related legal matters.
The Assistant General Counsel will consistently demonstrate support of the SRAlab statement of Mission and Philosophy by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of SRAlab.
The Assistant General Counsel will demonstrate SRAlab Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and SRAlab Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, & Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.
The Assistant General Counsel:
- At the direction of the Deputy General Counsel, is responsible for providing the Executive Management, Medical Staff, Research Staff and other SRAlab staff with legal advice on a wide variety of matters with emphasis on drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of contracts. Researches and recommends actions to be taken after consulting, as appropriate, with the Deputy General Counsel. On matters which the President, Chief Administrative Officer or Deputy General Counsel has authorized the involvement of outside counsel, will manage such activities and ensure the most co-effective provision of quality legal services.
- Successful candidate will have significant contracts experience as he/she/they will be responsible for drafting and negotiating a wide range of agreements for all areas of SRAlab including master services agreements, real estate agreements, leases, licensing agreements, IT/software, equipment, academic affiliations, staffing, and others, working in conjunction with the appropriate SRAlab Executive or designee as well as the Deputy General Counsel.
- Responsible for researching and analyzing new laws and regulations relating to and impacting health care or business operations and implementing measures or procedures related to those issues after approval from the Deputy General Counsel.
- Assists in responding to and resolving patient care issues, among other matters that may require resolution. Assesses risk, determines an appropriate plan of action, makes recommendations to Medical/Clinical staff and SRAlab Executives, as appropriate with consultation with the Deputy General Counsel and ensures follow through of approved plan of action.
- Assumes a “generalist” role (with emphasis on contracts) and successful candidate will provide sound legal advice and support as needed to support all aspects of the hospital environment including, but not limited to, clinical/medical staff, Compliance, Human Resources, Finance, Research, Facilities, and Ethics, to help ensure overall risk management and compliance with federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations, as applicable.
- May assist in supporting the organization through appropriate intellectual property protections as well as technology transfer (examples include, but are not limited to, patents and copyrights, and licensing agreements).
- Assists in working with Research to ensure appropriate regulatory compliance as well as processes regarding contracts, licensing, intellectual property and other research-related matters.
- Perform all other duties that may be assigned in the best interest of SRAlab.
Reports to the Deputy General Counsel
SRAlab is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Knowledge of the law and its application to health care providers acquired through completion of Juris Doctor degree;
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois;
- Minimum of 3 years healthcare or other related industry experience preferred;
- Minimum of 3 years of extensive contract experience preferred;
- Proven solution-oriented business leader;
- Outstanding people leadership and project management skills with proven track record of building relationships both organizationally and across the industry;
- Exemplary influencing, communication (written and verbal), and conflict management skills;
- Ability to provide structure and discipline, and work effectively in a fast, innovative, fluid, entrepreneurial environment; and
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across functional, level, and organizational boundaries.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
- Normal office environment with little or no exposure to dust or extreme temperature.
To apply for this position, please click "APPLY NOW"
and you will be sent to our online application.
We ask you to please take a few minutes to fill out the application.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.
- Clinical Works
- Coaching And Mentoring
- Conflict Management