Transdev is the largest private sector operator of multiple modes of passenger transit in North America, providing bus, rail, paratransit, shuttle, sedan and taxi services. We manage over 200 transportation contracts for cities, transit authorities and airports, providing safe and sustainable mobility solutions. Our mission is to improve public transportation, to enhance quality of life and combat global warming.
The Paratransit Mechanic must possess required skills and experience related to the fleet of Paratransit buses.
This includes the knowledge to perform all maintenance related tasks, in a safe manner. Perform preventative maintenance, diagnoses and repairs minor to moderate problems. ASE certifications are encouraged and preferred. All work performed must be of the highest quality ensuring vehicles are reliable and safe. Work in such a manner that promotes a safe and productive work environment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensures buses operate in a safe, comfortable, like new condition by performing high quality maintenance repairs and inspections.
- Performs preventative maintenance inspections.
- Diagnoses and executes repairs on mechanical, electrical, HVAC, Pneumatic and hydraulic systems including engines and transmissions.
- Renders road calls, on the road repairs and road tests as needed.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment including dusting, vacuuming and light cleaning as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Approximate Percentage of Time for Essential Duties and Major Responsibilities:
- Performs preventative maintenance on fleet as needed - 70%
- Diagnoses and repairs Paratransit fleet specifically concentrating on minor to moderate problems - 20%
- Support and assist other Mechanics - 5%
- Cleans work area - 5%
Purpose and Nature of Work Relationships:
- Has moderate contact with others inside the organization; works mainly with Maintenance staff and with Vehicle Operators.
- Has moderate contact with others outside the organization.
Education, Licensing, and Certifications Required :
- High school diploma or equivalent, such as GED
- Must be age 21 or older
- Must possess a NY State Drivers' License
- NY State Commercial Driving License B or higher with Passenger and Airbrake endorsements preferred
Education, Licensing, and Certifications Preferred :
- Appropriate Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certifications preferred
- 2 to 5 years of recent bus or heavy duty truck repair experience
Skills and Knowledge Required:
- Have some knowledge of HVAC systems, starting and charging systems, electrical and electronic systems and component overhaul procedures
- Additional training from mechanical/technical schools, courses or seminars desirable
- High school diploma or GED required
- Experience in diagnostic computer equipment required
- Must be able to work amid constant interruptions and be able to prioritize, be detail oriented and deal with time pressures
- Must have good communication skills and able to communicate concerns, questions and diagnostic information
- Must be autonomous and be self-directed
- Must have basic math skills
- Must be able to take direction and instruction well
- Must be physically agile and able to lift up to seventy-five (75) pounds
- Basic 2-way radio skills required
- Basic tools required
- A valid NYS driver’s license is required
- Must have clean driving record and be able to obtain and maintain a Commercial Driver's License, Class B with Passenger Endorsement
- Must be able to pass a physical examination including a drug test
Travel requirement (as a percent): <5% for occasional on-the-road repairs
- Must be able to work shifts or flexible work schedules as needed.
- Approximately 20% of the work is performed outdoors
- Must be able to lift seventy-five (75) pounds
- Performs physical activities that require considerable use of the arms, repetitive hand-wrist motion, and legs and moving the whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, standing, bending, and handling materials
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to heat/cold conditions
Additional Job Requirement
Wear uniforms and management approved Safety Shoes.
- Must submit to drug testing and a background check
- Must be able to pass a DOT physical examination
For more information please visit our website at www.transdevna.com/careers
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions upon request.
Transdev is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or other legally protected status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
EEO is the Law Poster: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm
Drug free workplace
If based in the United States, applicants must be eligible to work in US without restrictions for any employer at any time; be able to pass a drug screen and background check
Requisition ID 2019-11347
Position Category Maintenance/Mechanics/Parts/Utility/Materials
Internal Code \#TNA
Internal Reference 516
Internal Code 3 Ind1
Company/Division Transdev Services
Automotive Service Excellence
Hardworking And Dedicated