Contribute. Grow. Lead...with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. OxyChem's market position is among the top three producers in the United States in 2019 for the principal products it manufactures and markets. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Canada and Latin America.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Lab Analyst with our Chemical Manufacturing Facility located in Pasadena, Texas.
- Laboratory supports two PVC Plants in Houston Operations
- Promote and support a safe, healthy, and environmentally responsible work environment. Follow all safety rules and policies.
- Support the process safety and risk management goals and objectives. Participate in site-wide Process Safety and Risk Reduction activities as requested. Look for opportunities to be the ‘fresh set of eyes’ in this area.
- Perform routine analyses, including control samples and calibration checks, without supervision.
- Strive to continually improve the quality process.
- Perform unscheduled analyses with minimal guidance from laboratory management.
- Assist in training as required.
- Participate in site-wide process safety and risk reduction activities as requested.
- Proficiently operate instrumentation and equipment such as analytical balances, spectrometers, titrators, gas chromatographs, viscometers, roll mills, extruders, particle size analyzers, and rheometers.
- Accurately record results by computer or writing for use by Lab and plant personnel.
- Properly maintain all work sheets and applicable control charts
- Coordinate activities closely with production, loading and utility personnel.
- Analyze special samples in a timely manner
- Practice good housekeeping.
- Two years minimum of equivalent work experience in a chemical manufacturing lab environment AND
- Four year degree in a related science (chemistry, biology, physics, computer science, zoology) OR
- Successful completion of a laboratory technician training program at a community college or technical school (equal to a two year Associates degree) AND
- Five years minimum of equivalent work experience in a chemical manufacturing environment.
- High proficiency in Microsoft applications (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to read, write and speak in English.
- Must be able to respond to off hour emergencies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays and respond to callouts on a non-routine basis.
- Prior experience in PVC manufacturing
- Experience with SAP and Laboratory Information Management Systems
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs., climb ladders and stairs.
- Walking, bending, stooping is required.
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment.
- Must be able to respond to visual and audible alarms.
“Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.” “Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.”
- Microsoft Outlook