Medical Science & Computing (MSC) is an exciting growth oriented company, dedicated to providing mission critical scientific and technical services to the Federal Government. We have a distinguished history of supporting the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and other government agencies. MSC offers a dynamic and upbeat work environment, excellent benefits and career growth opportunities.
NCBI advances science and public health by providing free access over the web to biomedical literature and genomic data, making it one of the 400 top most-visited sites in the world. NCBI's diverse staff of smart, talented, and deeply technical people collaborate to build critically valuable services for researchers, physicians, educators, students, and the general public. For example, NCBI develops and delivers PubMed, an index of over 29 million biomedical research abstracts, often with links to full-text literature and supporting data. NCBI is located in Bethesda, Maryland, and is part of the U.S. National Library of Medicine, one of the National Institutes of Health.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, Medical and Flexible Spending Accounts, Pre-Tax Transit Assistance and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
Duties & Responsibilities
Medical Science & Computing is searching for an experienced DevOps Technical Lead to manage technical aspects of the engagement between DevOps and internal software development teams in the adoption of the DevOps platform with the focus on technology and skilled customer interactions.
DevOps Adoption Tech Lead will report to DevOps and interact closely (or embed) with other internal software development teams (AKA the Customer).Duties & Responsibilities:
DevOps Adoption Tech Lead shares the duties and responsibilities of DevOps Adoption Engineer, and has additional Team Lead duties.
As Engineer embedded with the Customer:
- Attend customer team meetings
- Participate in the Customer's Agile process.
- Pay close attention to the needs of the Customer from DevOps, communicate them to the DevOps team and try to accommodate them quickly and pragmatically.
- Identify DevOps platform gaps as compared to Customer's needs
- Introduce custom solutions with caution and pragmatism, after discussions with the team.
- Optimize for speed of delivery rather than perfection of the solution.
- Depending on the circumstances, custom solutions may remain custom or they may help evolve the DevOps platform.
As a member of the DevOps team:
- Stay on top of the DevOps platform development
- Stay in close touch with other embedded DevOps engineers (AKA Embedded DevOps Peers)
- Collaborate with the DevOps Platform Engineers (AKA DevOps core).
- Ensure DevOps Enterprise standards and principles in Customer's solutions
- Ensure DevOps is aware of any new use cases and patterns that you see while working with the Customer.
- Share experience and your solutions with DevOps core and Embedded DevOps Peers.
- Participate in discussions on evolving the Enterprise Platform to accommodate new use cases.
- Help evolve and test the DevOps platform by applying it in the real world.
As a Team Lead:
- Supervise a team of adoption Engineers.
- Ensure the adoption team members clearly understand their duties and responsibility.
- Set expectations with the Customer and for the adoption team.
- Set business metrics for the adoption projects.
- Organize the adoption team as needed.
- Provide coaching and mentoring for the team and on an individual basis.
- Mentor Engineers so they can meet and exceed expectations.
- Strive for Customer Satisfaction, while growing DevOps adoption
- Ensure DevOps platform standards are being met.
- Management/Leadership skills
- At least three years of professional experience
- Customer-focused, team-oriented disposition
- Excellent communication and soft skills to deal with with customers, peers and management
- Good judgement, sense of integrity and responsibility
- Expert in at least one programming language, such as Golang, Python, Java, Kotlin, Scala, C, C++
- Solid understanding of CI/CD and experience with Git/Svn, GitHub/BitBucket/GitLab, Jenkins/TeamCity.
- Solid Linux skills
- Experience with AWS, GCP or Azure
- Solid understanding of networking, proxies
- Solid understanding of web development but no need to be an expert web developer
- Solid understanding of distributed systems and micro-services
- BS in a STEM field (Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics)
- OR equivalent industry experience in Software Development
- Presentation skills
- Coaching skills
- Monitoring products (TICK/TIGK stack (Telegaf, InfluxDB, Grafana, Kapacitor), Prometheus, Stackdriver, etc.)
- Logging products (ELK, Splunk, etc.)
- Containers (Docker, rkt, etc.)
- Cluster schedulers and container orchestrators (Kubernetes, Nomad or Apache Mesos)
- HashiCorp products (consul, Terraform, Vault, packer, Vagrant)
- Service Mesh (linkerd, istio/envoy, consul connect)
- Spinnaker, Blue/Green and Canary Deployments
- SQL and NoSQL databases
Medical Science & Computing is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.