Now’s our time to inspire the future of healthcare together. Siemens Healthineers is a leading global medical technology company with over 170 years of experience and 18,000 patents. More than 48,000 dedicated colleagues in over 70 countries are driven to shape the future of healthcare. We stand with our customers around the world to support them in delivering high quality care to their patients. An estimated 5 million patients across the globe benefit every day from our innovative technologies and services in the areas of diagnostic and therapeutic imaging, laboratory diagnostics and molecular medicine, as well as digital health and enterprise services. This is what truly matters to us. Join our team now at Siemens Healthineers as a Staff Mechanical (Fluidics) Engineer. Location: Tarrytown, NY or Flanders, NJ The Staff Mechanical Fluidics Engineer will provide high quality engineering expertise for Fluidics Engineering design and development projects within Lab Diagnostics (LD), Global Engineering Organization (GEO) for Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics, Inc. Fluidics Engineering includes development of automated systems to transfer and meter precise liquid volumes of patient sample and reagents, bulk fluid handling and transfer, thermal control of fluids, liquid mixing, component washing, and instrument waste stream handling. This is a role well suited to an ambitious professional, looking for the next step in their career. As a Staff Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for:
• Responsible for quality, timeliness and costs-effectiveness of Fluidics Engineering designs for development projects within LD GEO.
• Actively participates in identification of potential technical problems and provides effective solutions by application of concepts, techniques, knowledge, and processes; display original thinking in applying principles, theories, and concepts on a wide range of problems within the field of Fluidics Engineering.
• Works closely with Mechatronic, Systems, Electrical, Controls, Structural, Thermal, and Software Applications Engineers as well as with Reliability, Test, Manufacturing, and Service Engineers on full integration of Fluidics Engineering into product development.
• Responsible for timely and high quality documentation of design progress, preparation, and execution of technical reviews. Actively participate in continuous improvement efforts for the Fluidics Engineering function, contributes to development and administration of Process, Practice and Procedures (PPPs) in the area of Fluidics Engineering.
• Applies best practice and appropriate tool usage in actual daily practice.
• Responsible for quality of deliverables to manufacturing.
• Appropriately document designs, activities, and knowledge growth to meet project, organization, and regulatory needs.
• Works with external vendors in close cooperation with LD supply chain management.
• Travels as required by cross-site product development. Required skills to have for the success of this role
• Demonstrated understanding of fundamentals of fluid dynamics in laboratory-scale applications.
• Demonstrated understanding of mechanical design and product development for robust performance with minimized cost and high manufacturability.
• Demonstrated understanding of fluid and mechanical analysis for new product development. Working knowledge of analytical methods
• Practical knowledge of benefits and limitations of state of the art FEA and CFD tools (e.g., STAR-CCM+, NX SimCenter, ANSYS Fluent/CFX) as well as in formulation of initial and boundary conditions is a plus
• Ability to lead Fluidics Engineering design project with focus on reliability and cost–effectiveness
• Ability to critically evaluate existing Fluidics Engineering design and propose performance improvements.
• Great oral and written presentation skills. The ability to communicate work progress in a manner leading to establishment of credibility with senior leadership.
• Experience designing medical devices or automation equipment is strongly preferred.
• Previous experience with design of medical Lab Diagnostics instruments is a big plus
• Experience of working in a large global corporate matrix environment is a plus.
• Experience of working in multi-discipline teams.
• Working knowledge of Product Development Process and Design Control.
• Working knowledge of Set Based Design and other lean development techniques is highly desirable.
• Working understanding of DfSS, Design Optimization and Robustness, Knowledge Briefs (K-Briefs or A3’s) and Knowledge Gap Analysis is strongly preferred.
• Experience of working with vendors to fabricate prototype and production parts and tooling.
• Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
• Knowledge of advanced manufacturing process, e.g., injection molding, 3D printing prototyping is preferred
• Fluent in use of SAP document control system is a plus
• Experience spanning all phases of product development from concept creation through commercialization
• Ability to create statistically sound test cases for product or feature performance demonstration and verification.
• Experience selecting, validating, and employing OEM components in a mechanical design
• Ability to apply system-level thinking in the design process including software, sequencing, and system timing. Education/Qualifications This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering and 7+ years of experience in Fluidics related Engineering activities. Candidate must demonstrate expertise in Fluidics Engineering field, advanced development methodologies, product life cycle management (PLM) tools practices, and procedures
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 7+ years of demonstrated practical success in Fluidics Engineering / R&D.
• Experience in product development for Medical/Pharmaceutical/Aerospace/Automotive industry.
• Relevant Certifications such as Professional Engineer license are a plus.
• Active participation in Professional Engineering societies (ASME, ASHRAE, etc.) is a plus. At Siemens Healthineers, we value those who dedicate their energy and passion to a greater cause. Our people make us unique as an employer in the med-tech industry. What unites and motivates our global team is the inspiration of our common purpose: To innovate for healthcare, building on our remarkable legacy of pioneering ideas that translate into even better healthcare products and services. We recognize that taking ownership of our work allows both us and the company to grow. We offer you a flexible and dynamic environment and the space to move beyond your comfort zone to grow both personally and professionally. If you want to join us in transforming the way healthcare is delivered, visit our career site at [ Link removed ] If you wish to find out more about the specific before applying, please visit: [ Link removed ] As an equal-opportunity employer we are happy to consider applications from individuals with disabilities. Organization: Siemens Healthineers Company: Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics Inc. Experience Level: Experienced Professional Job Type: Full-time Equal Employment Opportunity Statement Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law. EEO is the Law Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here. Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here. California Privacy Notice California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.
Engineering Design Process