You’re being taken to an external site to apply.Enter your email below to receive job recommendations for similar positions.
Saw & Stretcher Operator
Directly responsible to the Plant Manager and/or a delegate. Functionally responsible for operating the saw and stretcher in an efficient and cost-effective manner while maintain safety and quality standards. Regular communication is required with the press crew with regards to any safety or quality issues noticed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities of the Saw & Stretcher Operator are detailed below, but not limited to the following:
- Read all specifications and/or notes outlined in the work order and in EPICS.
- Follow verbal instructions from the press supervisor and other teammates.
- Lay out, set up and operate metalworking machines such as saws, and other hand tools to cut or otherwise shape and form metal stock into parts or products.
- Check products for correct shapes, dimensions, and other specifications using calipers and other measuring tools available.
- Troubleshoot and perform corrective action or minor repairs to the saw and stretcher.
- Perform the required PM checks on the saw daily, for example daily checks on saw lubrication levels, cutting blade sharpness, etc.
- Follow work order specifications and packing instructions.
- Read and follow all notes in EPICS and apply them to the line on a daily basis.
- Required to input information into EPICS such as weight, notes for die variances, etc. on an ongoing basis.
- Verify NCRs that apply to the saw.
- Update rework/redtag line in EPICS if the material is confirmed good at the saw if required. Must communicate this information with the press leads.
- Required to input information regarding low yields on EPICS with an explanation of why and suggestions of corrective actions.
- Inspect cut lengths, critical dimensions and visually inspect material using measurement tools.
- Ensure proper handling of material to maintain quality and good product.
- Ensure skids are packed and bundled securely and all material coming off the saw is cleaned, free of defects and is good quality product adhering to our quality standards
- Ensure proper weight is measured and recorded to the minimum tolerance of 40 lbs.
- Ensure efficient skid changeovers by being proactive and looking at subsequent work orders.
- Effectively communicate any issues with Press Leads, such as poor yield, die variance, weight discrepancies, and scanning issues.
- Escalate issues with the maintenance team immediately for any mechanical related downtime such as saw blade malfunction, saw clamp malfunction, etc.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean and tidy line with focus on 5S to ensure good housekeeping is followed throughout the shift.
- Ensure materials (skids, separators, sandwiches, etc.) are available at the saw station for duration of the shift.
- Be proactive in communicating with forklift drivers when materials are required.
- Ensure all quality checks are completed and recorded at the required frequency at the saw.
- Ensure Ascona scans are completed as per billet entries, and ensure product meet specification. Escalate issues immediately with quality technicians & the press leads.
- Ensure quality checks are conducted for visual & dimensional requirements.
- Ensure any material that is out of spec is communicated to the press lead to make a prompt decision on whether it is to be scrapped or rectified.
- Discuss any issues (mechanical, work-order related, etc.) with following shift, and ensure enough materials are available for a successful start-up.
- Run the stretcher (live and dead ends) efficiently as possible and as required to ensure material is cleaned off the table continuously.
- Ensure all extrusion pieces that are stretched are straight and twist free, and meet quality requirements (visual A or B).
- Regularly check dimensions and flatness and ensure extrusion is not over stretched.
- Responsible for batching at storage table with right number of pieces per batch to avoid overcrowding.
- Read and follow all notes in EPICS and update notes as required.
- Immediately report any issues before, during or after stretching with press leads.
- Communicate with saw crew any concerns regarding issues with dimensions and finish, such as marking bad cavities and batch marking.
- Report any malfunction in stretching equipment to the press leads and the maintenance team.
- Follow stretching instructions as per work order as required.
- Comply with all quality related policies, procedures and system requirements.
- High school Diploma with some technical background and mechanical aptitude.
- Extrusion experience is an asset.
- 1-2 years’ experience in an industrial environment
- Knowledge of machinery and ability to read drawings an asset. Willing to train.
- Basic computer skills including MS Windows is required. Other MS software is an asset.
- Understanding of measurements, tolerances, basic geometry, and numeracy comprehension.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs independently, and ability to lift up to 100lbs in collaboration with a team member.
- Familiarity with extrusion software such as EPICS is an asset.
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Forklift Truck
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Job ID: g6yopye
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.