Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail, and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Responsible for planning, scheduling, organizing, coordinating, and inspecting the work of skilled trades employees and other workers typically assigned to complete mechanical, electrical, construction, and building maintenance tasks and specialized staff services under the facilities maintenance and operations program.
- Performs duties of the senior position of the respective trade (Electrical, HVAC or Alterations) with the added responsibility and authority to plan, schedule, organize, and coordinate the various mechanical, electrical or building maintenance tasks and specialized staff services as part of the facilities maintenance and operations program. Assigns staff with craft skills to work projects, providing oral and written instruction as required.
- Monitors the quality of maintenance and repair work, and directs and evaluates the performance of maintenance staff through periodic reviews, inspections and direct daily supervision. Ensures that all maintenance and repair jobs are completed in accordance with established standards. Coordinates and inspects work performed by outside contractors.
- Controls maintenance and repair job costs in accordance with budgeted requirements; maintains appropriate cost records and reports.
- Responds to alarms during normal work hours and to emergency calls during non-business hours. Determines corrective actions, contacts the appropriate staff to make work assignments, and conducts necessary follow-up actions. Required to work overtime for activities related to shutdowns, repairs, and emergency situations.
- Prepares written requirements for repairs or for ordering parts from a supplier. Develops work procedures which identify tasks/steps, and conducts hazard analyses.
- Maintains files on system organization, original designs and modifications, and specifications. Controls and updates blueprints, schematics, alarm and control system diagrams, refrigeration management, and internal air quality readings generated from field inspections; provides relevant information on system performance and capabilities as requested.
- Develops and implements an effective preventive maintenance program using the site's computerized maintenance management system (CMMS); performs preventive/predictive maintenance, repairs, and adjustments systems and controls; monitors and records effectiveness of maintenance activities; takes corrective actions when necessary to ensure the safety and reliability of critical facility systems in a laboratory environment.
- Performs self-development activities sufficient to maintain craft specialty skills and certification required to perform assigned tasks.
- Assumes managerial responsibilities during the manager's absence.
- Performs special tasks requiring similar duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
THE FOLLOWING IS REQUIRED
- Requires a high school education and some formal technical training at a trade school or recognized apprenticeship program, with 3 years of experience in supervision and 5 or more years of journeyman level experience in building trades, electrical trades, or HVAC plant operation staff.
- Must have a working knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in mechanical, electrical, or building trades to support a research facility.
- Must have a working knowledge of applicable agency standards and of appropriate building and construction code regulations, as well as safety procedures.
- Must be able to read and interpret plans, diagrams, blueprints, and specifications, and make standard arithmetic computations to calculate dimensions and quantities of labor and materials required.
- Requires the abilities to manage budgeted work, supervise skilled-trades employees, and work with outside contractors and vendors. Must possess good oral and written communication skills, good customer service skills, and ability to follow through and carry out assignments with demonstrated problem-solving skills and sound judgment.
- Must be self-motivated and have the ability to be productive with little or no direct supervision.
- Initiative to actively pursue opportunities and training to maintain craft specialty skills and certifications required to perform assigned tasks.
- Must be familiar with operation of a personal computer, and Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and Outlook. Must also have experience with software commonly used for tracking and reporting system status in BAS and CMMS systems.
- Must also have the knowledge of tools, materials, procedures, hazards of the trade, and possess the physical ability to perform manual labor, including work outdoors in inclement weather. The job requires the physical ability to perform medium difficulty work, including lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling work materials and tools; ability to climb ladders, maintain balance, stoop, kneel and crouch to gain access to equipment components; ability to read meters and use tool accessories; acuity of vision for close work; depth perception and color vision.
- May be required to complete miscellaneous training and obtain certifications including but not limited to: licenses to operate a forklift, overhead crane, aerial lifts and power tools; radiation safety training; NFPA 70E arc flash training and others as required.
- Must be able to use a communication device such as a cellular phone, or two-way radio during and after normal business hours, including weekends.
- May be required to obtain special clearances and inoculations to work in high hazard research laboatories.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, activities and skills required of staff members. No statement herein is intended to imply any authorities to commit Battelle unless special written permission is granted by Battelle's Legal Department.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, veteran-status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable Federal, state, or local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit URL blocked - click to apply
Computerized Maintenance Management Systems