EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) is a premier global provider of satellite communication solutions. Headquartered in Englewood, Colo., and conducting business around the globe, EchoStar is a pioneer in communications technologies through its Hughes Network Systems and EchoStar Satellite Services business segments. For more information, visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Vice President - Assistant Controller. Follow [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Vice President - Assistant Controller on Twitter.
Echostar has an opportunity for a Vice President, Assistant Corporate Controller who will be responsible for assisting in several accounting functions including SEC reporting, Technical Accounting, Internal Controls, and Financial Systems transformation. This role will be based in our Germantown, MD office, and will report to the Chief Accounting Officer. This is a highly visible position with teams located in CO and MD, and collaboration with multiple international locations. Accounting Operations has oversight of Corporate Accounting, Operational Accounting, Technical Accounting, SEC and Statutory Reporting, SOX and Shared Services.
We are looking for a proven leader, results-oriented, with a track record of accomplishing objectives in a complex environment. Equally important is solid business judgment, high integrity and ability to partner with the senior management team to drive the strategic vision of the company. The successful candidate will regularly collaborate with senior management, our legal team, the business and functional group personnel worldwide, as well as our various professional service providers.
The ideal candidate needs to know exactly what needs to be done to grow, improve and scale our Accounting Operations and must be able to take initiative, get the job done with little or no direction and be able to drive significant value and change into the business – both within our department and company-wide.
To be a successful candidate this person must be an engaging, an inspiring leader and have the ability to manage/grow the team. This person would have command and control of all facets of our accounting, financial statement reporting and the close process, excellent process improvement and systems skills, advanced analytics and modeling as well as superior presentation and organizational skills.
- Lead the team in all aspects of accounting to ensure accurate and timely financial statements in accordance with U.S. GAAP
- Review the monthly and quarterly results with senior financial management
- Manage the full cycle close, including SOX controls, compliance related tasks, key reserve evaluation and certain account reconciliations
- Assure accuracy, timeliness, and conformity with professional accounting standards and best practices in accordance with USGAAP on a consolidated basis and the appropriate local GAAP for the statutory records
- Support all SEC and statutory reporting globally and ensure compliance
- Manage SOX structures and compliance globally – including challenging, maintaining and monitoring corporate and department compliance with internal controls, policies and procedures
- Build and continuously improve best in class process and procedures for areas of responsibility
- Identify, design and implement process improvements, as appropriate, to simplify, standardize and streamline efforts
- Partner with the CAO to determine accounting implications for all material business decisions
- Coordinate work relating to both internal and external audits in the periodic review of the company financial records as well as the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from audit findings
- Coach and develop team members, including establishing annual goals and monitoring progress and achievement of results
- Lead finance policy development and process definition and improvement activities
- Perform ad hoc analyses and make recommendations to improve company profitability
- Domestic and international travel is required
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Active CPA
- 15+ years progressive accounting experience with recent experience at a multi-national public company with responsibility over the consolidated close, technical accounting and financial reporting
- 5+ years of progressive management experience
- 5+ years Big 4 public accounting experience
- Possess a concrete understanding of US GAAP and IFRS – including but not limited to
- Investment and debt accounting
- M&A and transactional accounting
- Revenue recognition and multiple element arrangements products, services, long-term contracts and lease arrangements
- Complex consolidation, allocation processes and foreign exchange
- Intercompany transactions and eliminations
- Other complex transactions, including related party transactions and those transactions involving long-lived assets and the requirement for periodic assessments for impairment
- Recent experience working with large ERP systems (Oracle or SAP) and Hyperion Financial Management (HFM/FDM).
- Masters’ Degree in Accounting
- Adaptable to various competing demands and demonstrate a high level of customer service
- Very strong communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work effectively across multiple functional and business groups
- Ability to motivate and influence others toward a common goal
- A successful track record in change management
- A proven ability to show strong initiative, be decisive, resolve issues and deliver on commitments and deadlines
- Demonstrated creativity and flexibility in problem solving and project collaboration
- Inspiring leader and manager of people with the proven ability to build high performing teams
- Superior organization and prioritization skills
- Highly skilled in data analysis and proven ability to present financial data in a clear, concise and compelling manner to all levels of management
- Proven self-starter that doesn’t need much guidance to get projects done in an excellent manner
- Been part of the leadership team for ERP improvements and changes
- Superior Excel modeling skills
- Superior PowerPoint presentation skills
You will be eligible to participate in the Executive Incentive Program (EIP). Payments from this program are based on company and individual performance.
EchoStar is committed to offering a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. Our programs are designed to provide you with the ability to customize your benefits to best meet the needs of you and your family. Our philosophy for these programs is to support and encourage healthy living and wellness. Our benefits package covers it all–from healthcare savings plans to education assistance and more!
Financial: 401(k) retirement savings plan with company match; employee stock purchase plan; profit-sharing; company-paid life insurance, AD&D and disability
Work-Life Balance: Paid Time Off (PTO), company-paid holidays, health and wellness events, exercise and sports facilities (locations may vary)
Employee Incentives: Tuition reimbursement, employee referral program, year round employee events and community programs, discounts on Dish Network and HughesNet
Health: Medical, Dental, Vision, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Health Savings Account (HSA) with opportunities to earn employer contributions; Health Care, Dependent Care and Transportation Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
EchoStar and its Affiliated Companies are committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. U.S. Persons or those able to obtain and maintain U.S. government security clearances may be required for certain positions. EEO is the law.
- Balance Sheet
- Change Management
- Coaching And Mentoring